Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Issue with 5D mk iii shutter

Hey all.

I am having issues with my 5D3's shutter. I have to hold the shutter button down fully after focusing (both AF and MF) for a few seconds before I get a response from the shutter. The actual amount of time varies, and occasionally after shooting a few "delayed" shots, I get normal responses from the shutter, but only for a limited amount of time. I had some success earlier this evening with immediate shots when I first turned on the camera, but it slowly went back to the "delay".

I have played around in all the shooting modes and have done a hard camera reset, a firmware replacement, and have cleared the camera's settings entirely. Also tried with various lenses on manual and auto focus.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would appreciate any advice. I just bought this camera used from a fellow who was a film professor at a nearby university and used it extremely carefully. I am stumped.

Thanks!

- Austin

Reputable Contributor

Re: Issue with 5D mk iii shutter

Can you explain more? By delay do you meant delay until you see the photo on the LCD or delay until you hear the sound shutter open/close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Valued Contributor

It sounds like the Drive mode is set to 2sec delay or something. Press and release the AF * Drive button in front of the LCD screen and select the single shot mode (looks like a single box in the upper left corner of the LCD.)

New Contributor

By delay I mean there is a delay between fully depressing the shutter button and the shutter opening and closing.

New Contributor

Trust me, I've already played with drive modes. I tried various drive modes (silent, high speed, single shot, etc.) and all the AF modes (one shot, AI Focus, AI Servo).

Valued Contributor

What does the seller say? I suppose you've been in touch with him or her.

VIP

"I just bought this camera used from a fellow who was a film professor at a nearby university and used it extremely carefully."

This is where you need to start.  He doesn't owe you a photography class but he should feel compelled to clarify the camera to you.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Reputable Contributor

Does the camera behave normaly when using Manual focus?

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III