cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any hope for my eos 70d that I left in the rain?

lindaheim62
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Salt water damage:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1440903

The good news is that rain water, is NOT salt water, and also doesn't contain a lot of minerals. By removing the battery, and ensuring the camera is thoroughly dry (do not rush that part) there is a chance it will be ok.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It depends on how wet it got intrnally; don't turn on, take battery out and if you have a dehumidifier place it in the exhaust (dry air) and let it stay for a few days.

If no DH place it in the direct sunlight where it can try to dry.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"f no DH place it in the direct sunlight where it can try to dry." 

But, protect the LCD screen from prolonged exposure to direct sunlight.  Sitting it in an air conditioned, in a low humidity environment should dry it out, too, after a few days or so.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@lindaheim62 wrote:

Hope? Yes. Certainty? No. The one thing you have going for you is that rain (unless it's seriously acid rain) isn't very destructive. (If it were seawater, your camera's goose would probably be cooked.) Take the lens off; leave the (empty) battery compartment open, likewise the card slot; and place the camera (and the lens too, if it got wet) in a warm, dry place for several weeks. If you get lucky and it starts to work again, have it professionally cleaned. Otherwise, contact Canon's "Loyalty" program and see if you can trade it in on a new or refurbished 80D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Salt water damage:

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Salt water damage:

The good news is that rain water, is NOT salt water, and also doesn't contain a lot of minerals. By removing the battery, and ensuring the camera is thoroughly dry (do not rush that part) there is a chance it will be ok.

@TTMartin wrote:

Just to clarify, when I said, don't rush it. I meant don't be in a hurry to put the battery back in and try it. I would wait at least a week. However, the recommendations to speed the drying are correct, low humidity, keep air moving around it, low heat, open up the battery compartment and the seals over the ports to allow the humidity to escape. I would take the lens off, and leave the plastic covers off, you should cover the camera and lens opening with a microfiber cloth to keep dust out, but, still let it 'breath'. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

Just to clarify, when I said, don't rush it. I meant don't be in a hurry to put the battery back in and try it. I would wait at least a week. However, the recommendations to speed the drying are correct, low humidity, keep air moving around it, low heat, open up the battery compartment and the seals over the ports to allow the humidity to escape. I would take the lens off, and leave the plastic covers off, you should cover the camera and lens opening with a microfiber cloth to keep dust out, but, still let it 'breath'. 

I agree, except on one minor point: I would leave the lens opening completely unblocked. It's the main path for air to enter and leave the camera, and you don't want to interfere with that circulation. If the drying process is successful, the camera will need a professional cleaning anyway. (There's a good chance that there will be water marks on the prism and the mirrors.) So it really doesn't matter how much dust gets in.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

I agree, except on one minor point: I would leave the lens opening completely unblocked. It's the main path for air to enter and leave the camera, and you don't want to interfere with that circulation. If the drying process is successful, the camera will need a professional cleaning anyway. (There's a good chance that there will be water marks on the prism and the mirrors.) So it really doesn't matter how much dust gets in.

Good point as always Bob.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best way I have found to dry a wet camera is a warm heating pad.  Warm is the key word here,  Not a hot, heating pad.  Leave all openings, open!  Don't put any bag or rags over any of the camera. Just leave it on the 'warm' heating pad for a long time.  A week is not too long.

Don't leave it in direct Sun light either.  Never use any rice or cream of wheat, frosted flakes in baggies or whatever to dry it. 

Never turn on a wet electronic device to see if it still works.  That can short out the circuits.  Then it will never work!

There is hope. I have had some cameras get pretty wet, soaking really, over the decades and they survived.  Even Rebels!!!!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements