cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there aftermarket software to connect my Canon 5D to my Macbook Pro

pjcpixtkr
Apprentice

I had to dust off the spider webs on my slow MAC power pc to shoot a recent job as Canon has no downloadable software to hook my Canon 5D to my MACbook Pro....anybody have any thoughts....well save for investing in a 5D iii.....

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I know Aperture 3.4 support tether shooting for Canon 5D via USB cable.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4176
But be sure to use the trial version first to see if it works for you before purchasing anything.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

+1

Canon does make EOS Utility for Apple OS X.  I'm running OS X 10.8 and tethered shooting works fine with it.  

It's important to note that when Canon discontinues a camera, they usually stop updating it's page with the latest software.  But Canon only makes one version of EOS Utility per operating system platform.  So while they might not post the latest version on the 5D page, you could look at the 5D II page or even the 5D III page to find the update to the latest version (and, btw, these are just "updates" ... you have to have a base version of EOS Utility installed and these downloads will upgrade you.)

But what I PREFER to use, is Apple's "Aperture".  It supports tethered shooting and is a much better/richer environment.  Not only for image processing... but also for image management when you've got HUGE numbers of images to manages from lots of shoots & clients.   $79 from Apple's "App Store".    See:  http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

Do you mean that you want to use 5D to tether shooting using your Macbook Pro? or you just want to download photo. If you just want to download photo then just buy a card reader, cheapest and easiest option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, but no, I want to shoot directly to my laptop the way I did on my power pc....i have many card readers...but clients after 35+ years of shooting commercially want to see it immediately....Philip

I know Aperture 3.4 support tether shooting for Canon 5D via USB cable.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4176
But be sure to use the trial version first to see if it works for you before purchasing anything.

+1

Canon does make EOS Utility for Apple OS X.  I'm running OS X 10.8 and tethered shooting works fine with it.  

It's important to note that when Canon discontinues a camera, they usually stop updating it's page with the latest software.  But Canon only makes one version of EOS Utility per operating system platform.  So while they might not post the latest version on the 5D page, you could look at the 5D II page or even the 5D III page to find the update to the latest version (and, btw, these are just "updates" ... you have to have a base version of EOS Utility installed and these downloads will upgrade you.)

But what I PREFER to use, is Apple's "Aperture".  It supports tethered shooting and is a much better/richer environment.  Not only for image processing... but also for image management when you've got HUGE numbers of images to manages from lots of shoots & clients.   $79 from Apple's "App Store".    See:  http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

WeyeFeye supports file tethering. It's posted on their website: www.weye-feye.com. It supports natural way of using your camera and get file tethered to Mac/PC

Thanks...will check it out...Hoping to have a 5D iii before years end which will easily solve the problem....PJC

Also an active USB cable helps. I do exactly the same thing for large group settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements