cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to turn off the D+ Highlight tone priority setting after the photo is taken?

mmphoto
Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to use the multiple exposure settings to take a time lapse of a tree by using the overlay effect. Unfortunately, the first photo I took in the series had the D+ HTR selected. When this is selected you can't use the multiple exposure settings.

Is there a way to turn the D+ setting of the RAW file off in camera or iwth my computer?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there a way to turn the D+ setting of the RAW file off in camera or iwth my computer?"

No there is not. HTP is just another word for underexposure.  It allows more room in the highlights at the expense of increased noise.  It is the way a RAW file is made and saved.

Some Canon cameras have both Highlight Tone Priority and Auto Lighting Optimizer settings.  
Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) analyzes contrast. It modifies both shadows and highlights by adjusting the tone curve in high contrast conditions.  It is not reversible afterwards either.

There are only a few certain things a camera sensor can do.  Everything is a modification of these.  Remember there is no free lunch.  You give to get.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

You must remember I am not a DPP fan or a real user of it.  It is my understanding that a jpeg with ALO is a permanent setting.  But I also understand it can be applied afterwards in post with DPP. It is my understanding you can turn it on or off in a RAW file too.  But it can not be removed from the RAW data file using DPP.  Most settings for a RAW file are added by the post editor since most do not affect it. But the data tag file remains as is.

I preferring to do it in LIghtroom.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You must remember I am not a DPP fan or a real user of it.  It is my understanding that a jpeg with ALO is a permanent setting.  But I also understand it can be applied afterwards in post with DPP. It is my understanding you can turn it on or off in a RAW file too.  But it can not be removed from the RAW data file using DPP.  Most settings for a RAW file are added by the post editor since most do not affect it. But the data tag file remains as is.

I preferring to do it in LIghtroom.

ALO is simply a flag in the RAW file, it doens't impact the RAW data in anyway.

When you use Lightroom having ALO on or off when you take the photo will have no impact on the processing of your RAW file.

As for JPGs of course all camera settings are baked into the JPG file including things like the Black and White Picture Style as well as ALO.

"When you use Lightroom having ALO on or off when you take the photo will have no impact on the processing of your RAW file."

Yes, I think we agree or are saying nearly the same thing. "It is my understanding you can turn it on or off in a RAW file too.  But it can not be removed from the RAW data file using DPP."   It still resides in the RAW tag and can't be removed.

Please note I am not a DPP user, so whatever its feature set is is not my forte.  If you are using LR there isn't a ALO switch. Unless I have missed it somehow.  The way LR converts a RAW file will not be the same as the way other convertors, such as Canon's DPP or even the in-camera processing, will.

LR applies its settings, rather than the in camera settings.  I believe only Canon's DPP can ALO in post.  If ALO was selected in the camera, DPP will apply it by default, but you can also select  DPP to render the RAW file with ALO switched off. However it remains in the RAW files data tag.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

LR applies its settings, rather than the in camera settings.  I believe only Canon's DPP can ALO in post.  If ALO was selected in the camera, DPP will apply it by default, but you can also select  DPP to render the RAW file with ALO switched off. However it remains in the RAW files data tag.

I think that's correct, if what you're trying to say is that the Exif metadata will continue to indicate that the picture was taken with ALO, even if you turned it off in post-processing. (Or if you changed the ALO setting without turning it off; there are two "on" levels available in DPP.)

But otherwise, I don't think the statement makes much sense. The ALO algorithm does what it does, either in-camera or in post, but the effect applies only to the resulting JPEG. There isn't any "data" to preserve in the RAW file, just a bit or two to indicate the level of ALO that was originally called for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements