cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to turn off the D+ Highlight tone priority setting after the photo is taken?

mmphoto
Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to use the multiple exposure settings to take a time lapse of a tree by using the overlay effect. Unfortunately, the first photo I took in the series had the D+ HTR selected. When this is selected you can't use the multiple exposure settings.

Is there a way to turn the D+ setting of the RAW file off in camera or iwth my computer?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there a way to turn the D+ setting of the RAW file off in camera or iwth my computer?"

No there is not. HTP is just another word for underexposure.  It allows more room in the highlights at the expense of increased noise.  It is the way a RAW file is made and saved.

Some Canon cameras have both Highlight Tone Priority and Auto Lighting Optimizer settings.  
Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) analyzes contrast. It modifies both shadows and highlights by adjusting the tone curve in high contrast conditions.  It is not reversible afterwards either.

There are only a few certain things a camera sensor can do.  Everything is a modification of these.  Remember there is no free lunch.  You give to get.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Danny

Hi, mmphoto!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/ContactCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Danny,

I'm using a 5d Mark iii. This must be a pretty rare issue. I always have D+ HTP set just in case I shoot any video.

When I go to "Select image for multi expo" it shows me the compatible images, but when I select an image that was shot with the D+ setting ON it says that the image isn't compatible.

So I was wondering if there is any way to turn off the D+ setting after the raw photo has been shot with that setting ON.

Thanks!

@mmphoto wrote:
Hi Danny,

I'm using a 5d Mark iii. This must be a pretty rare issue. I always have D+ HTP set just in case I shoot any video.

When I go to "Select image for multi expo" it shows me the compatible images, but when I select an image that was shot with the D+ setting ON it says that the image isn't compatible.

So I was wondering if there is any way to turn off the D+ setting after the raw photo has been shot with that setting ON.

Thanks!

As far as I know you can't change the HTP setting after the shot was taken in Canon software so it treats it differently.

There are however several software programs (i.e. Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, and perhaps PS Elements), that would allow you to layer the photos taken with HTP on for a multi-exposure effects. 

Hey TTMartin,

The thing is i'm trying to take a photo in the exact same place. A tree in different stages of life. So I was going to use the multiple exposure setting just as an overlay device so I could get in the same position every month.

@mmphoto wrote:
Hey TTMartin,

The thing is i'm trying to take a photo in the exact same place. A tree in different stages of life. So I was going to use the multiple exposure setting just as an overlay device so I could get in the same position every month.

Sorry can't help you there.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I believe HTP affects the file, rather than being a data tag, so it can't be undone.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there a way to turn the D+ setting of the RAW file off in camera or iwth my computer?"

No there is not. HTP is just another word for underexposure.  It allows more room in the highlights at the expense of increased noise.  It is the way a RAW file is made and saved.

Some Canon cameras have both Highlight Tone Priority and Auto Lighting Optimizer settings.  
Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) analyzes contrast. It modifies both shadows and highlights by adjusting the tone curve in high contrast conditions.  It is not reversible afterwards either.

There are only a few certain things a camera sensor can do.  Everything is a modification of these.  Remember there is no free lunch.  You give to get.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs1. Hopefully this is something canon wil address in future models.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you shoot RAW, ALO can be turned on or off with DPP.

DPP ALO OFF.jpgDPP ALO ON.jpg

Announcements