cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to lock the lens-change-button on 5D Mark III ?

TerjeN
Apprentice

Hey! I just got the 5D Mark III, and after that I got the 70-200 f2.8 IS II 🙂

Lens is so good im thinking ill just stick that permanent on the 5D3. But I have a serious problem with the button that releases the lens, I keep hitting it without trying when I remove the camera from camerabag, etc. So the lens falls of. So every time I now have to check if the lens is on properly when I retrieve my camera. I dont know how this happens so easily, I never had that problems with my 350D, 40D or 5D mark II.

Is there a way to lock this button, does anyone have a smart physical block idea to it. Must be something I later can unblock if I want to change lenses.

Right Now its tempting to gaffa tape it somehow but recon I'd ask here first.

19 REPLIES 19

xhack
Apprentice
Something is not right here. Accidentally depressing the lens release button does not cause the lens to 'fall off'. When de-mounting a lens, there's at least 50º of axial rotation after lock release, with the first 40º offering a degree of stiffness. Removing a lens does involve some degree of deliberate action.

There was a debate about this across at POTN [url=http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=961169]LINK[/url] some months ago; the consensus was that, for those who insist their lenses DO fall off, there must be a degree of user error. But you're here for advice - a one-second precautionary twist of the lens before use'll provide reassurance the lens is locked down properly. Or send both lens and body to Canon for a check-up.

@xhack wrote:
Something is not right here. Accidentally depressing the lens release button does not cause the lens to 'fall off'. When de-mounting a lens, there's at least 50º of axial rotation after lock release, with the first 40º offering a degree of stiffness. Removing a lens does involve some degree of deliberate action.

There was a debate about this across at POTN [url=http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=961169]LINK[/url] some months ago; the consensus was that, for those who insist their lenses DO fall off, there must be a degree of user error. But you're here for advice - a one-second precautionary twist of the lens before use'll provide reassurance the lens is locked down properly. Or send both lens and body to Canon for a check-up.

Something is definitely not right here.  

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine.  The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to unlock without realizing it.  Grabbed the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off.  Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance.  It's a $2000 camera.  This is definitely a design flaw.  Be forewarned.  

Something is definitely not right here.  

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine.  The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to unlock without realizing it.  Grabbed the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off.  Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance.  It's a $2000 camera.  This is definitely a design flaw.  Be forewarned.  

Yes, michaelgirman! I wanted to raise awareness about this too.

I dont have the same issues with 5D Mark II and 40D. On the Mark III it happens just too often.

I hope you guys don't handle guns the same way :). Seriously, I haven't run into this problem but the release button is the same as the 50D that I have. As far as I know, they are all the same for all Canon cameras for years. My AE1 program had the same design. I wouldn't want the release harder to release than it is now.

In the meantime, try not to put your hand there. My left hand always rest under the lens and my right on the shutter button...No hands or finger anywhere near the release button. The majority of people do what I do.

Also, get another bag if your bag can release the button and twist your lens for it to fall off...it's a terrible bag...who knows what else it can damage your camera...the joystick is very fragile for example.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

stianrasmussen
Apprentice

I just had my 24-105 fall off my 5d Mk3 last night.

True, I was working fast.. at a wedding.

But **bleep**! There I was shooting and my lens fell off the camera and onto the floor.

Of coures I'm partially to blame... obviously.

but WOW.  Never had that happen before!

My lens won't mount anymore.  What a drag.

Luckily it's insured!  

SportsPro
Contributor

It ain't just you ...

Here's another thread on this about this:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Accidental-Lens-Release/td-p/17139

This is a two year old thread. If this were an epidemic there would be considerably more people with this issue.

I have four different EOS bodies (including a 5D III) and none have this issue. It occurs to me that this has to heavily depend on how a user holds the camera (the button cannot press itself.) If the right hand is on the grip and shutter control then it wouldn't really be possible for the right hand to do this. The left hand SHOULD be palm-up and supporting the camera from the underside with the fingertips used to adjust zoom ring and/or focus ring on the lens. Those fingers should not be gripping the body and able to press the lense release button.

There are a number of videos that demonstrate how to hold the camera and may be worth checking out for anyone who has experienced this issue.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim:

There's lots of other more recent comments on other blogs and I'd suspect that more people have had this experience and dismissed it as operator error because they aren't aware of the issue.

I've been shooting for over 45 years and have NEVER, EVER  had a lens unlock accidentally until the 5D's.  I never even considered it a possiblity ... until now.  

At the Superbowl a couple of years ago I had two different lenses unlock during the game.  

I, too, agree with Tim Campbell and don't see how this is even possibile.   I only shoot 1 series cameras now but I used to have a 5D Mk II and a 5D Mk III.  I don't remember exactly how the release button is on the 5 series but on the 1 series it is even under the surface of the camera body.  It can NOT be pushed or tripped by accident.  Now maybe that is one difference between a full on pro body and an advanced prosummer 5D.

BTW, it is the same design on the brand-N pro bodies . If it happens to a Canon it should happen on a Nikon, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements