cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to lock the lens-change-button on 5D Mark III ?

TerjeN
Apprentice

Hey! I just got the 5D Mark III, and after that I got the 70-200 f2.8 IS II 🙂

Lens is so good im thinking ill just stick that permanent on the 5D3. But I have a serious problem with the button that releases the lens, I keep hitting it without trying when I remove the camera from camerabag, etc. So the lens falls of. So every time I now have to check if the lens is on properly when I retrieve my camera. I dont know how this happens so easily, I never had that problems with my 350D, 40D or 5D mark II.

Is there a way to lock this button, does anyone have a smart physical block idea to it. Must be something I later can unblock if I want to change lenses.

Right Now its tempting to gaffa tape it somehow but recon I'd ask here first.

19 REPLIES 19

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

I never have this happening to me, but believe that it can happen as there are too many reported incidents.

Just wondering: where the lens become unlocked 'by itself' - is the Canon supplied camera strap in use OR is a third-party strap attached to the camera (i.e. replacing the 'flimsy' Canon strap)?

Some of these 'camera straps' have buckles, safety hooks and other gadgets that MAY contribute to accidentally depressing the lens lock button?

Paul

@PaulSoebekti wrote:

I never have this happening to me, but believe that it can happen as there are too many reported incidents.

Just wondering: where the lens become unlocked 'by itself' - is the Canon supplied camera strap in use OR is a third-party strap attached to the camera (i.e. replacing the 'flimsy' Canon strap)?

Some of these 'camera straps' have buckles, safety hooks and other gadgets that MAY contribute to accidentally depressing the lens lock button?

Paul

From what I've read it seems to often be associated with using a Black Rapid Strap.

I'm thinking that my release button was depressed from reaching into my bag to grab the camera.

When grabbing the camera, my hand must have touched the release button.

The lens become unlocked but the camera still fired shots, so I didn't notice.

So there I am firing away photos when suddenly the lens falls off.

Lesson learned.  The button is very sensitive and accidents happen.

I now know to always double check the lens.

Also if "00" shows up on the LCD your lens is about to fall off!

Of course there is user error associated with this problem, but there is also design error.

Not the best design.  The best design wouldn't allow for such easy failure.

So, It would be nice if the locking button was either less sensitive or had a safety.

Hopefully Canon takes note.. but they probably won't.

"Not the best design."

I think it is.  I don't want it changed at all.  I don't want it to be any harder to swap lenses whe I need to.  I have used Canon pro cameras since 1980 and I have never had an issue.

"Hopefully Canon takes note.. but they probably won't."

Hopefully they leave well enough alone.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've written about this before.
Couple of weeks ago, I was shooting the US Track and Field Olympic Team Trials in Eugene, OR when I heard some guy start screaming profanity at the top of his lungs.  He just had a $5K lens fall off a 5D Mkiii.  I shared his pain ...
Commisserating later with him, over glasses of bourbon, he said that he rotated the camera from landscape to portrait and shot a couple of frames.  He switched to another lens/body and when he went back to the 5D the lens came off in his hand and he dropped it.   

We both use a classic grip with the left palm up supporting the body and lens, with the left thumb and fingers working the zoom ring.  When the body is rotated 90 degrees clockwise from landscape to portrait, the over-size, lens release button with a weak spring passes right under the meaty part of your thumb. 

The lens release button is raised above the body so that it is on the same plane as the lens mount.  It then sticks up about another 1/4".  The spring offers almost no resistance when the button is pushed.  There's no detent position or click sound to indicate that it has been unlocked.  The locking pin is about 1/16" in diameter and seats in a reciever hole in the rear of the lens.  The pin only travels about 1/16" inch.  So if the lens moves even a fraction of a degree when the button is pushed, the pin won't reseat in its hole and the lens is unlocked.  Note that if the lens is only rotated a short distance, the data and electrical contacts are still touching each other and there will be no indication or error message in the viewfinder.  

I don't use 5D's anymore because of this problem.  I use these tools to feed my family.  There's no excuse for accidental lens release on expensive bodies.  This is a design flaw that needs to be corrected.  

Untitled-0.jpgUntitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

@SportsPro wrote:

Couple of weeks ago, I was shooting the US Track and Field Olympic Team Trials in Eugene, OR when I heard some guy start screaming profanity at the top of his lungs.  He just had a $5K lens fall off a 5D Mkiii.  I shared his pain ...

Did the photographer in Eugene happen to use a Black Rapid strap?

Also what $5K Canon lens doesn't have a strap mount on the lens?

@SportsPro wrote:

I've written about this before.
Commisserating later with him, over glasses of bourbon, he said that he rotated the camera from landscape to portrait and shot a couple of frames.  He switched to another lens/body and when he went back to the 5D the lens came off in his hand and he dropped it.   

We both use a classic grip with the left palm up supporting the body and lens, with the left thumb and fingers working the zoom ring.  When the body is rotated 90 degrees clockwise from landscape to portrait, the over-size, lens release button with a weak spring passes right under the meaty part of your thumb. 

The lens release button is raised above the body so that it is on the same plane as the lens mount.  It then sticks up about another 1/4".  The spring offers almost no resistance when the button is pushed.  There's no detent position or click sound to indicate that it has been unlocked.  The locking pin is about 1/16" in diameter and seats in a reciever hole in the rear of the lens.  The pin only travels about 1/16" inch.  So if the lens moves even a fraction of a degree when the button is pushed, the pin won't reseat in its hole and the lens is unlocked.  Note that if the lens is only rotated a short distance, the data and electrical contacts are still touching each other and there will be no indication or error message in the viewfinder.  

I don't use 5D's anymore because of this problem.  I use these tools to feed my family.  There's no excuse for accidental lens release on expensive bodies.  This is a design flaw that needs to be corrected.  

If accidentally pushing the button really is a problem, maybe that "classic grip with the left palm up" is a contributing factor. I use an entirely different grip, with my thumb below the lens and the rest of my fingers above it; and with most lenses, no part of my hand comes anywhere near the button. I chose that grip because I find it most comfortable and stable, but maybe it has other advantages as well.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@SportsPro wrote:

If accidentally pushing the button really is a problem, maybe that "classic grip with the left palm up" is a contributing factor. I use an entirely different grip, with my thumb below the lens and the rest of my fingers above it; and with most lenses, no part of my hand comes anywhere near the button. I chose that grip because I find it most comfortable and stable, but maybe it has other advantages as well.

I use a grip similar to Bob, because it simply comfortable.  The lens release button is in similar, if not the same, location on other camers, including the 6D and the 7D2.  The button has no detent or click when you press it, either. 

Yet, the only complaints seem be almost exclusively about the 5D3 lens release button, and none of the others.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I used to laugh hearing people lost lenses by accidentally releasing it but I no longer do.  I nearly lost one myself on the 7D2. I got lucky and caught it almost in midair.    All Canon cameras have the same release mechanism so it can happen to any of them, not just the 5D3.

As Robert said, once I know it is possible, I immediately stop using that kind of grip.  Now I just put my palm underneath the lens and not curve around the lens and I'm conscious of the release button at all time.  It was hard at first but now it's second nature.

I wish Canon can do something about it but I doubt if they will because most of us found workarounds.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"As Robert said, once I know it is possible, I immediately stop using that kind of grip.  Now I just put my palm underneath the lens and not curve around the lens and I'm conscious of the release button at all time.  It was hard at first but now it's second nature."

Here's a typcial illustration found in instruction manuals.  I don't think Canon is about to change the release button.

T6i_HoldingTheCamera.PNG

I found the only hard thing about holding the camera with the palm facing upwards was the weight of some lenses.  I've always held a camera like what is shown in Canon's illustration. 

The only time my pam faces downward is when the camera is mounted on a tripod, and my hand cannot reach underneath the lens.

[EDIT]  Okay, I just picked up a 6D w/grip and a 7D2 w/o grip.  With both cameras, the exact positioning of my left hand underneath the lens would vary with the lens, the positions of the zoom and focusing rings, and the size of the lens.

For big lenses that use a tripod foot, I use the foot as a "handle" and put it in the center of my palm, which balances the setup in my hands fairly well.  For smaller lenses without a tripod foot.  I've just noticed that the bottom left corner of the camera sits on the heel of my palm.  This works for me because I have big hands.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements