cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to control the auto focus from a controller (or a cable to attach?)

weathermore
Contributor

I just purchased a Canon 80d for my wife. One of the devices that I use to record video is the Zhiyun Crane (3 axis gimble) with the black magic pocket cinema camera. The 80D works great with this device, however, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to control the auto focus (IE - re-focus) from a remote controller (preferably wirelessly). 

The crane also has a micro-usb input so that you can plug a cable into it and control the focus from the crane (it has a two button programmable switch, and there is firmware available for the Canon 5D so I'm thinking I should be able to rig the Crane up to control the 80D's focus.) If there is not a wireless controller I could velcro to the crane, does anyone know of a cable that would connect the 80D to micro USB?

1 REPLY 1

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Do you have a smart phone or tablet?  (iPhone, Android, etc.)

If you're using Canon's "Camera Connect" app, it gives you a remote live-view display.  In that mode you should be able to touch a point in the remote live-view and the camera will focus to that point.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements