cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to confirm whether something is a USA Model?

cohenfive
Contributor

I am considering buying an ef lens from a buddy of mine. He lost the receipt and warranty paper that came with the lens. The lens can be registered on the canon usa site so I'm thinking it is a usa model. I called canon support and they could not help me even with the serial number in hand. Is there a way to confirm it is a usa model, or does it not really matter at this point since I am not first owner. Lens was purchased 10 months ago. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Since strictly speaking warranty is not transferable it doesn't matter.

In practice, from what I have seen others report, Canon is quite reasonable relative to warranty issues.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, that's what I've heard as well. It's an expensive purchase (600mm iii) so even though the price is very fair, I am trying to check all the boxes. I know I'm taking on the warranty risk, just want as much info on the lens as possible. Amazing to me that canon cannot tell by serial number whether it is a usa model. I have been able to register the lens on the canon site so there is that...probably all I would need in case something went wrong, same position as the original owner would be in come April when the US warranty expires.

@cohenfive wrote:

Thanks, that's what I've heard as well. It's an expensive purchase (600mm iii) so even though the price is very fair, I am trying to check all the boxes. I know I'm taking on the warranty risk, just want as much info on the lens as possible. Amazing to me that canon cannot tell by serial number whether it is a usa model. I have been able to register the lens on the canon site so there is that...probably all I would need in case something went wrong, same position as the original owner would be in come April when the US warranty expires.

If the lens were [not] produced for the US market, I do not think you would have been able to register the warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've registered the lens, have not registered any warranty (which since I'm not first owner would not be valid anyway). Thanks

Announcements