cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a fix for 5d ii focus issue

khshultz
Contributor

Hello,  I just purchased the 5Dii used but the owner said the camera was working perfectly. I notice that when I take photos the photos do not look sharp. I am shooting in raw and using fast enough settings that they should be sharp. I tried different lenses and a tripod still same results when viewed at 100%. So I have been reading about the 5d ii having focus issues and was wondering if there is a fix to this problem? Also, I read that with 21 mp the photos won't look sharp in the view finder or when viewed at 100% has anyone else heard this?  Any suggestions would be helpful. I am thinking I need to return the item which is a shame, I was so excited to get the 5d ii and very disappointed to be having this issue.  

22 REPLIES 22

Well I tested it with the chart and pictures were still off, it looks like it focuses higher above the focal point each time. I talked to the person that I purchased it off and they said they will refund my money. Now my question would be....should I shell out the extra money for a new 5d ii or pay a even more for a 5d iii or do you think I would have better luck with another used one? I read so many good reviews on the 5D ii that I was hoping it would be an excellent camera but I don't want to have to go through this again. Any thoughts? Thank you to all of you helped me with this issue.

This depends on what type of shooting you normally do.

The 5D II is a very good camera.  It was extremely popular among wedding and portrait photographers (not so popular among sports photographers).  Focus issues like the one you've just experienced aren't typical.   I still have my 5D II and while it's focus system can't compete with the 5D III, it's still a great camera.

The focus system on the 5D III is amazing... but if you're not shooting at speed under pressure and have time to focus (e.g. think "landscape" or "portraits") then the 5D II focus system is completely adequate.

The 5D II has the 9 AF points you've seen on the body you purchased -- only the center point is "cross type".  It has some hidden "focus assist" points which aren't etched on the focus screen to help focus in the center area (and you can turn those off  -- sometimes enlarged focus areas can be a problem when there's a very specific but tiny point where you want to lock focus.)

The 6D system is better than the 5D II (not nearly as good as the 5D III) but at a considerably reduced price tag. 

If you're not shooting at speed, under-pressure, and would rather save a few dollars on the body and have more to put toward nice lenses, I'd probably still go for a 5D II... or maybe a 6D.  If you need a camera with outstanding performance, then the 5D III is your baby... just not cheap.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hello,

I wanted to let everyone know that I returned the 5Dii and they refunded my money. I decided to go with the new Canon 6D and I have to say that I am VERY impressed!! The shutter speed is so quiet and the sharpness, clarity is beautiful in normal light and low light. I cannot believe how good it is in low light, which is what I was looking for. The auto focus is very fast and efficient too! I also keep asking myself "why did I not go full frame sooner"  🙂  I love the camera!!!!! Thanks for all of your help!

Hi Tim,

I've read through your informative posts re the phased array viewfinder autofocus on the 5D mkii. I have the same problem as listed by an eariler contributor in this thread with a 5D mkii (in a backup 5D2 body I recently purchased). 

I have used a focus chart, and the viewfinder focus point is focussing way, way beyond th chart (I selected centre, but it is the same for other points as well). I tried with both a 50mm/f1.8, and a 24-70 F4L. At 2.5m, the 50mm is focussing around 160mm behind the subject at F1.8. In live view, it focuses spot on. I am using one shot. The lens is in AF mode, switched to AF, and the camera focusses on the screen when I press the shutter release (I get the red blinking box in the viewfindsd and a double beep indicating the camera thinks it is in focus).

Same for the 24-70 at F4 - at either end of the zoom spectrum, it focuses way, way behind the target plane.

I have tried to adjust using the "all lenses" option using microfocus adjust, dialed in the max (-20) and it is still way off when using the viewfinder (in fact, I did not note much difference even with the maximum amount dialed in). I guess the clue is in the name "micro" adjust, and perhaps the error is way beyond what the user can modify. 

I'm about to send it Canon for assessment, but would appreciate your thouights on the matter, and what you think the issue might be (my other 5D works perfectly)

Thanks in advance, Craig

millerker
Apprentice

I've come to this thread very late but just wanted to say that I have had focusing issues ever since I bought my canon 5D Mark II.  I have never felt that it focuses well and I'm never happy with the images.  I was told when studying photography at RMIT in Melbourne Australia by one of my lectureres that a very high percentage of digital cameras come off the shelf with focusing problems.  I was also recently told by a staff member at Camera Warehouse, a retail digital camera chain, that Canon 5D Mark II's are renowned for not taking sharp images.  Up until this point I had always blamed my technique.  I'm going to try these things on this thread to see if I can work out if in fact it is my camera or my technique.

@millerker wrote:

I've come to this thread very late but just wanted to say that I have had focusing issues ever since I bought my canon 5D Mark II.  I have never felt that it focuses well and I'm never happy with the images.  I was told when studying photography at RMIT in Melbourne Australia by one of my lectureres that a very high percentage of digital cameras come off the shelf with focusing problems.  I was also recently told by a staff member at Camera Warehouse, a retail digital camera chain, that Canon 5D Mark II's are renowned for not taking sharp images.  Up until this point I had always blamed my technique. I'm going to try these things on this thread to see if I can work out if in fact it is my camera or my technique.

Regardless of what your camera store told you, I've never heard anyone suggest that the 5D2, or any other member of the 5D series, was chronically prone to sharpness problems. Unless you're ready to give up and trade your camera in on a 5D3, you're right to try to track the problem down. If you haven't done so already (and maybe even if you have), I'd suggest carefully checking the autofocus microadjustment settings. Inaccurate AFMA isn't necessarily the most likely source of the problem, but it's probably the easiest to fix or rule out. And it doesn't require sending the camera in for service. So it's the obvious place to start.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@millerker wrote:

I've come to this thread very late but just wanted to say that I have had focusing issues ever since I bought my canon 5D Mark II.  I have never felt that it focuses well and I'm never happy with the images.  I was told when studying photography at RMIT in Melbourne Australia by one of my lectureres that a very high percentage of digital cameras come off the shelf with focusing problems.  I was also recently told by a staff member at Camera Warehouse, a retail digital camera chain, that Canon 5D Mark II's are renowned for not taking sharp images.  Up until this point I had always blamed my technique.  I'm going to try these things on this thread to see if I can work out if in fact it is my camera or my technique.

All cameras and lenses (not just Canon or the 5D Mk II) have manufacturing tolerances. The small error caused by these manufacturing tolerances can add together and become noticeable, or they can cancel each other out and make the camera spot on.

For more informaton read: "This lens is soft" and other myths, by Roger Cicala @ lensrentals.com

The Canon 5D Mk II has micro focus adjustment which allows you to compensate for manufacturing tolerances. Micro focus adjustment should be done at the distance and type of light you normally shoot / use your camera. Newer cameras allow you to micro focus adjust a zoom lens at both ends of zoom range. The 5D Mk II only allows one adjustment per lens, typically this should be done at the long end of the zoom range as this has the shallowest depth of field. One of the best methods I've found for micro focus adjustment is DotTune: Autofocus fine tuning in under 5 minutes.

Most AF issues people have are not related to the camera, but, instead are caused by misunderstanding the AF system. Auto focus isn't as automatic as most people assume. A few years back Canon did an hour and half class on auto focus at B&H.

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 3

Watching these video recordings of the presentation will substantially improve your understanding of auto focus, and results using it.

I'm extremely late to this party but I too must admit I am having the same issue with my 5D Mark II. I have since acquired a couple of other bodies (7D and 60D) and neither has that issue. The 60D in particular is tack sharp. Same settings, same lenses. And yes I have disabled AF micro-adjust. I rented 5D3s for some recent shoots (different bodies from different renters) and was blown away by their focus accuracy (again same settings, etc.) I was strongly considering a 5D3 as my upgrade path....that was until the 5D4 was announced. I typically will skip a generation before considering an uppgrade, so this is really perfect timing. If the 5D3s I rented are anything to go by, the 5D4 will be an absolute focus magnet. I have been really frustrated with my 5D2 and can no longer trust it to deliver the results I seek.

5D4 here I come!

Just came across this thread. I recently returned my 5dII, experiencing many of the soft focus issues noted above. I attempted many if not all the fix recommendations noted above to no avail. It was all quite frustrating and disappointing.

@JDK wrote:

Just came across this thread. I recently returned my 5dII, experiencing many of the soft focus issues noted above. I attempted many if not all the fix recommendations noted above to no avail. It was all quite frustrating and disappointing.

Well, you're in luck. Soon enough, the 5D4 is likely to drive the price of a used 5D3 through the floor. The 5D3 has a much better focusing system than the 5D2, so enjoy!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements