cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 70D significantly better than the 7D at handling high ISO situations?

grafxman
Contributor

I have a 6D and it has really spoiled me with it's low noise high ISO capabilities. I'm wondering if the 70D is significantly better than my 7D when it comes to handling high ISOs. It has the same sensor as the 6D and I really like that view screen on the 70D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's not "significantly" better - you wont notice the difference like you can with the 6D and higher models.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" It has the same sensor as the 6D and I really like that view screen on the 70D."

Really? Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Perhaps I should have said the same size sensor.

The 6D has a "full frame" sensor - physical dimensions are close to the 36mm x 24mm size of a 35mm film negative frame.

Both the 7D and 70D have APS-C sensors - physical dimensions are close to 22mm x 15mm and close to the same size of a negative frame from "Advanced Photo System - Class" size film.

While the 7D and 70D have sensors which are roughly the same size, the sensors themselves are very different because the 70D has the new dual-pixel AF technology.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

• I was just going the info at BHPhoto which states they both have 20.2MP CMOS Sensors with the 6D being full frame and the 70D being APS-C. In any event I would still like to have an answer to my question.

It's not "significantly" better - you wont notice the difference like you can with the 6D and higher models.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@grafxman wrote:
  • I was just going the info at BHPhoto which states they both have 20.2MP CMOS Sensors with the 6D being full frame and the 70D being APS-C. In any event I would still like to have an answer to my question.

That's the number of pixels, or the resolution.  But as Tim stated above, the 6D sensor is significantly larger, hence the much better high ISO performance.  Althought the 70D has new technology, I don't think you'll see a marked increase in high ISO peformance over the 7D, and it won't be close to the 6D.

Announcements