cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 6D a good camera for Sports photography, compared to the 5D Mark II or III?

SRW
Apprentice

I am thinking of purchasing the 6D. I currently have a 5D Mark II and was considering upgrading to the Mark III, but I like the wifi option of the 6D, I just am wondering what I will be loosing as opposed to the Mark III. I shoot whitewater action shots of rafters and kayakers, and I want the best camera for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SRW wrote:

That is all I shoot, I do water sports on the river, whitewater rafting and kayaking to be specific. So the 5D3 might be the better option?

It's definitely a better option.  I don't know if you're just shooting rafting groups floating down a river, or getting up there in the action.  If the latter it's no question, but even if it's the former...  if you're shooting 100,000 frames a summer then the cost is easily justified.  The 5d3 has a longer shutter life, more weather sealing, better AF, faster FPS, and dual card slots for the working professional.  Those features are all applicable to what you're doing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

Compared to the Mark III, of course not.  But compared to the Mark II, sure, it should be as capable maybe slightly more. Though I don't know if I would recommend spending the money to upgrade from a 5d2 to a 6D.

The thing is my 5D II is getting older and it has an extremely high shot count on it now, well over 200,000 for two summers of use. Do you think that the 6D would be a good exchange, or that I should go for the Mark III and then have the II repaired, and use it as a back up?

Do you shoot a lot of sports?  How did your 5d2 do for you?  The 6D should be similar, maybe slightly better.

I love my 6D, and recommend it often.  However, the recommendation come with a caveat, and that is, the camera was not designed for sports photography.  I’m not saying it can’t do it, but it’s severely limited compared to many other options out there.  And those limits will translate into lower yield compared to more advanced AF systems (and FPS) like the 5d3 or even the 7D.  I rarely shoot sports, so it doesn’t bother me, but you explicitly said sports, so it must be an important aspect for you.

That is all I shoot, I do water sports on the river, whitewater rafting and kayaking to be specific. So the 5D3 might be the better option?

@SRW wrote:

It's definitely a better option.  I don't know if you're just shooting rafting groups floating down a river, or getting up there in the action.  If the latter it's no question, but even if it's the former...  if you're shooting 100,000 frames a summer then the cost is easily justified.  The 5d3 has a longer shutter life, more weather sealing, better AF, faster FPS, and dual card slots for the working professional.  Those features are all applicable to what you're doing.

Thank you!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements