cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens compatible with a Canon 1DX?

scottsullivan
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cicopo
Elite

NO, it's designed for crop bodies. You'll get images that look like you shot them through a pipe.

see

https://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Using-a-lens-designed-for-crop-bodies-on-full-frame-SAMPLES/t...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

cicopo
Elite

NO, it's designed for crop bodies. You'll get images that look like you shot them through a pipe.

see

https://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Using-a-lens-designed-for-crop-bodies-on-full-frame-SAMPLES/t...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you!

But if you have the lens and cannot sell it for some reason, you can still use it and crop the photo in post to remove the vignette. In a way, you'll turn your photo from full frame view into crop 🙂
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I was thinking I might still find creative use for the lens. Thanks for your help!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is some concern that the lens may strike the camera mirror. The Sigma 10-20mm and the Canon 1D x is not a logical duo? Why?

Canon EF-S lens' won't even mount!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

In my experience (which is limited) there is a physical difference between a Canon Brand EF-S lens & those used by Tamron & Sigma (but designed for crop bodies). The Sigma 18-200's I've owned along with the Tamron 18-270 fit my 1Ds & 1Ds2 just like an EF mount lens. Nothing protruded into the mirror box area or interfered with mounting them to the body and the mirror didn't hit them when taking a photo, which is why I was able to take samples of what the combination produced.

Most 3rd party lens (I cannot say all) make EF and EF-S mount the same (some says to save money). Only Canon EF-S is different. So you can mount any third party crop lens onto your full frame camera (but don't take my words for it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not trying to judge anyone's choice of equipment because I have seen some pretty darn nice photos with some pretty weird combinations.

That said it has to raise some eyebrows if someone wants to bolt a third party, off-brand, APS-C lens to a Canon flagship model Canon 1D X camera.

Maybe it's just me but again, why?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sometimes just for fun 😄 hehe ... I have a Sigma 10-20 for my 30D. When I upgrade to the 6D, I still keep the old camera + sigma lens. I know I can mount it on the 6D, so I did.
Announcements