cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritated with the Canon 6D wireless Capabilities.

sojumaster
Contributor

Maybe I was confused on what the full capabilities of the Canon 6D's wireless capabilities or maybe I am missing something. After numerous attempts and way too much time in finally getting my 6D connected to my laptop through the EOS Utility I was rather disappointed.

This is what I thought I was going to be able to do:  Take a picture with my 6D and then preview the picture and select something in the preview menu to transfer the picture to the laptop.  If this is not possible, this is something that needs to be fixed in the software of the EOS Utility and in the firmware.  If this is possible, please someone tell me what am I missing.

When I click on "Starts to download images" within the EOS Utility, I get a "there are no images in the camera or memory card that match download conditions" error.  (Which makes me think that selecting the pictures and transferring them from the camera is possible but I cannot seem to find the function to make it work)

I really do love the 6D because I was holding off until Canon finally produced a body with built in GPS and wireless capabilities.  I know that it is going to be impossible to build a perfect camera under the cost of a car but I think this would be a simple fix to the software and firmware.  Who knows, maybe a fix to this user is in order also. 🙂

Other Problems That was annoying:

-  The manual to set up the wireless connection (EOS 6D (WG) Wi-Fi Function Instruction Manual) was not intuitive nor any type of logical flow.  Why should I have to jump from section to section to do something?

-  The manual failed to mention that I had to connect to the camera from the computer and not the other way around.  (very annoying since I was expecting the pairing software to detect the connection automatically)

- The EOS Utility manual needs to be separated by the model of the camera.  The attempt of making a single manual for all the models is a failure.  It was so confusing that after awhile in trying figuring out what portion applied to the 6D and what didn't that I had to print it out and re-edit the manual so it had only the parts that pertained to me. 

I would greatly appreciate any help and shared frustrations with this. 

14 REPLIES 14

@sojumaster wrote:

Update:

Still trying to figure out: How to tether it so I do not have to run to the computer to hit the download.

How to transfer ONLY JPGs.  I do not need RAW transfers if I am going to instantly have them added to a slide show.  (Of course I have to find a solution in regards to a slideshow program that will automatically update the slideshow when it detects added files to a particular directory. of course I would appreciate any help in that department also.)

Stephen

Are you trying to record on the camera in RAW and JPG to the laptop?   I'm not sure you can do that.  The EOS Remote app transfers a JPG (a small resolution one to speed up the transfer) while storing the real RAW on the camera, but I don't think EOS utility has that function. 

You got me curious to try a few things out, I'll give it a go this weekend.   I've always connected directly from my phone/tablet to the camera, but I realized that if I go through my lan I may not have to manually disconnect from Wifi on the phone/tablet and connect to the Camera Wifi, right?  That'd be nice.  Plus it'd probably have better range.

@Skirball wrote:

@sojumaster wrote:

Update:

Still trying to figure out: How to tether it so I do not have to run to the computer to hit the download.

How to transfer ONLY JPGs.  I do not need RAW transfers if I am going to instantly have them added to a slide show.  (Of course I have to find a solution in regards to a slideshow program that will automatically update the slideshow when it detects added files to a particular directory. of course I would appreciate any help in that department also.)

Stephen

Are you trying to record on the camera in RAW and JPG to the laptop?   I'm not sure you can do that.  The EOS Remote app transfers a JPG (a small resolution one to speed up the transfer) while storing the real RAW on the camera, but I don't think EOS utility has that function. 

You got me curious to try a few things out, I'll give it a go this weekend.   I've always connected directly from my phone/tablet to the camera, but I realized that if I go through my lan I may not have to manually disconnect from Wifi on the phone/tablet and connect to the Camera Wifi, right?  That'd be nice.  Plus it'd probably have better range.

Yes I am shooting both JPG and RAW.  It does suck that I cannot select only JPGs for transfering.  (This should be a quick fix for Canon)

Connecting to the local LAN will increase your range.  In Theory, you should get twice the range, 100 feet from the camera to the Wireless Acess Point (WAP) and 100 feet from the WAP to PC/Tablet.  I am pretty sure that if you connect through a WAP that you will not have to disconnect and connect your tablet to change internet functions.  But I am interested to know the result.

I was lucky enough to get the new Canon 6D camera. I got it working with APT using the wi-fi wireless connection. It took sometime to get the wireless working the manuals are not great for the wireless part. I had trouble getting the live view to work using APT 2.20 but after I upgraded to APT 2.50 the live view is working great. If anyone can improve on doing the wi-fi connection please let me know. Some of the steps take 1-2 minutes to complete. It seems to take about 3-5 minutes to get my camera connected using wi-fi every time but this does work for me every time i use it.

Here are my notes that I use to get the canon 6D to work wireless to a windows 7 computer using APT 2.50. I hope it can save someone the time it took me to learn how to connect.

Rob

I have to do this every time. (Windows 7 computer)

turn on computer
turn on camera

camera
press menu
goto 3rd yellow menu
make sure wi-fi is enabled
select wi-fi function

The next 3 steps may not be needed the first time you set this up but I found that after the connection is setup I have to clear it to get it working the next time I try to connect on my computer. The manual states that you should only have to go through the setup one time but my computer will not re-connect unless I clear the connection and set it up each time.

select exit and ok
select info (general sett)
select clear wi-fi settings and ok

select wi-fi function
ok for new nickname
enter 6D ok
ok
pick computer icon
select find network then ok
select enter connection
select ad hoc ok
6D for ssid ok
auto for channel
none for encryption

computer
make sure other networks are disconnected
when 6D network shows up lower right corner select connect

camera
auto for ip address and ok
wait 1-2 minutes
when start paring device appears no camera select ok
wait 1-2 minutes

computer
when paring message shows up

open the eos utility from lower right menu
select paring over wi-fi/lan (eos paring software will open.
select camera and the connect

camera
when computer is found select ok
then ok for setting name
press menu twice to clear screen.

computer

use eos utility or exit eos and start apt

ehanes7612
Apprentice

The first couple times I tried the wireless on the 6D it worked flawlessly , now everytime I put in the the number digit password the wifi, the phone says it's conencted but then the wifi turns off on the camera. I tried forgetting network on the phone, defaulting my camera's settings. I have only used wifi on this three times ..and the camera is less than a year old. 

Announcements