cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Focus Stacking

GirlyGirl
Apprentice

Hello everyone!  

I have been a Canon user for over 20 years.  I currently shoot with the 5D Mark IV and the 7D Mark II.  Focus Stacking is important to me.  I do NOT want to use external gadgets.  WHEN oh when will Canon put internal focus stacking in their cameras??

27 REPLIES 27

This is what this discussion sounds like to me.

Camera manufacturers make specialized cameras for astrophotography. You are arguing that they should make all cameras that way.  The EOS R has Canon Log while the Rp does not.  Why don't you complain about that, too?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm not "arguing" anything, I am simply suggesting that adding a feature that could be added by a firmware update would benifit the customers who supported Canon's first attempt at marketing a full-frame mirrorless camera.  It would be appreciated by the customers who supported Canon's first effort, and, for me anyway, would reinforce my view of Canon's position as a company who supports it's customers. 

As you can see this is my second post, I'm new to this forum.  Obviously, with your 8925 posts you are a major "contributor" here.    Thanks so much for your "warm welcome".  I find it sad that the anoniminity of a on-line forum seems to encourage a lack of civility and encourages "arguments" where non exist. 

I'm off to do something creative, and I'll probaby not waste by time here again. 

@Lotus7 wrote:

I'm not "arguing" anything, I am simply suggesting that adding a feature that could be added by a firmware update would benifit the customers who supported Canon's first attempt at marketing a full-frame mirrorless camera.  It would be appreciated by the customers who supported Canon's first effort, and, for me anyway, would reinforce my view of Canon's position as a company who supports it's customers. 

As you can see this is my second post, I'm new to this forum.  Obviously, with your 8925 posts you are a major "contributor" here.    Thanks so much for your "warm welcome".  I find it sad that the anoniminity of a on-line forum seems to encourage a lack of civility and encourages "arguments" where non exist. 

I'm off to do something creative, and I'll probaby not waste by time here again. 

I am civil.  If you read through the posts in this thread you will see that I was the one who was attacked for simply asking why should every camera have this rather specialized feature.

[EDIT]. Please accept my apologies.  You came across as "piling on" to the debate.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Camera manufacturers make specialized cameras for astrophotography. You are arguing that they should make all cameras that way.  The EOS R has Canon Log while the Rp does not.  Why don't you complain about that, too?

Focus stacking has nothing to do with Astrophotography, so I don't know why you even bring it up.  Focus stacking is particularly useful first, for speed, and second, so that you don't have to shift the focal plane of the camera by moving it.

Using my EOS 90D, which does have this feature, I can take a stack of 20 photos in about 2-3 seconds, which would be completely and totally impossible to do manually in anywhere near that amount of time, either by moving the camera, or by manually focussing.

You have obviously never used the feature, or you would know why it's useful.

@grat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Focus stacking has nothing to do with Astrophotography, so I don't know why you even bring it up.  Focus stacking is particularly useful first, for speed, and second, so that you don't have to shift the focal plane of the camera by moving it.

Using my EOS 90D, which does have this feature, I can take a stack of 20 photos in about 2-3 seconds, which would be completely and totally impossible to do manually in anywhere near that amount of time, either by moving the camera, or by manually focussing.

You have obviously never used the feature, or you would know why it's useful.

I never said it was not useful.  Someone insisted every camera should have this feature.  I simply asked why.  I brought astrophotography as an example of a feature that not every camera has.

You are piling on to an argument that you know nothing about.  I strongly suggest you read thorough the thread before you make anymore comments.. I pointed out that I liked the feature, and was interested in it.  I just do not think that it needs to be included in EVERY camera sold

@Waddizzle wrote:

I never said it was not useful.  Someone insisted every camera should have this feature.  I simply asked why.  I brought astrophotography as an example of a feature that not every camera has.

You are piling on to an argument that you know nothing about.  I strongly suggest you read thorough the thread before you make anymore comments.. I pointed out that I liked the feature, and was interested in it.  I just do not think that it needs to be included in EVERY camera sold

I did read through the entire thread, and not knowing you, or your history, your posts came across as hostile to the idea that ANY camera should have the feature, and insisted the OP should justify their interest in such a feature.

Most people would have assumed the OP had a valid reason for wanting it, and while it's certainly open to interpretation as to whether a camera needs that feature, your insistence that the OP explain whether they had used such a feature, or what the use of the feature provides over manual focus stacking, came across as antagonistic, at least to me.

Since I have actually used the feature, on a modern Canon camera, and appreciate it's convenience, I felt my opinion was relevant.

As for "piling on to an argument that you know nothing about", your first post in this thread mentioned "astrophotography focus stacking"-- which isn't even a thing. 

AP uses stacking, not for focusing purposes, but to boost the signal to noise ratio in long exposures.  Other than using multiple images to create a final image, it's a totally different concept.

Using it as a comparative feature is also questionable-- while there are functions in the "EOS 60Da" and "EOS Ra" cameras that benefit astrophotography such as better zoom in live-view (although the lack of a "red screen" mode in either camera is baffling), the primary difference between astro and non-astro cameras is the replacement of the built-in UV/IR filter with an Ha (Hydrogen Alpha wavelengths) sensitive filter (or no filter, and an Ha filter used externally). 

As a result, an astrophotography camera is more difficult to use under normal conditions.  From Canon's website:

*The EOS Ra is a dedicated camera for astrophotography subjects, and is not recommended for everyday photographic use.

Focus stacking, however, is essentially a software subroutine that can automatically shift the focus point by a fixed increment, and can be easily added to any camera that understands focus distance, f-stops, and apertures (ie, can do basic DoF calculations).  

The actual combining of the images is done by third party software-- DPP, Affinity Photo, PhotoShop and even Gimp have this capability.

So, other than a couple hundred lines (if that) of code, and some configuration menus/variables, it costs effectively nothing, and has no impact on other functionality in the camera.

So far, the EOS Rp, 90D and M6 Mk II have this feature.  The EOS R, Ra, and the M200, appear to be lacking, although the R was introduced before the Rp, which seems to be the first camera Canon has included focus bracketing in.

hdoylephoto
Apprentice
My EOS Rp has both focus bracketing and stacking

whoosh! The point is that the R doesn't!

Announcements