cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Focus Stacking

GirlyGirl
Apprentice

Hello everyone!  

I have been a Canon user for over 20 years.  I currently shoot with the 5D Mark IV and the 7D Mark II.  Focus Stacking is important to me.  I do NOT want to use external gadgets.  WHEN oh when will Canon put internal focus stacking in their cameras??

27 REPLIES 27

@Hazardous wrote:

Why this feature is not introduced in the EOS R but is availble in the EOS RP is beyond me. I would think this would be a feature they would provide in a more advanced camera such as the R. 

Why is having this focus bracketing feature so important?  It does not produce a fina image in the camera.  You have to combine the captured images in DPP.  I would think setting it up might take more time than just pointing the camera and turning the focus ring yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

Why this feature is not introduced in the EOS R but is availble in the EOS RP is beyond me. I would think this would be a feature they would provide in a more advanced camera such as the R. 

Why is having this focus bracketing feature so important?  It does not produce a fina image in the camera.  You have to combine the captured images in DPP.  I would think setting it up might take more time than just pointing the camera and turning the focus ring yourself.

Focus bracketing is something the camera will do automatically. In order for me to to perfom the same steps it takes a lot more time to produce. I know users who perform focus bracketing with up to 20 photos just to ensure they get all the correct sharpness on all elements of the subject. In order for me to perform the same task would take a long time.

@Hazardous wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

Focus bracketing is something the camera will do automatically. In order for me to to perfom the same steps it takes a lot more time to produce. I know users who perform focus bracketing with up to 20 photos just to ensure they get all the correct sharpness on all elements of the subject. In order for me to perform the same task would take a long time.

How do you know it will save you time?  Have you ever used it before?

I ask because I do not see how it saves time.  it takes the same amount of time to get the camera focused to take the first shot in a sequence.  Once the camera an initial focus is set, you can either begin manually shooting a sequence, or go into the menus and set up the focus bracketing sequence.  You have to figure out how far to [automatically] move focus on each shot.

You could probably save time if you have to shoot a number of sequences back to back, assuming that they could use the same focus bracketing sequence set up.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

I ask because I do not see how it saves time.  it takes the same amount of time to get the camera focused to take the first shot in a sequence.  Once the camera an initial focus is set, you can either begin manually shooting a sequence, or go into the menus and set up the focus bracketing sequence.  You have to figure out how far to [automatically] move focus on each shot.

You could probably save time if you have to shoot a number of sequences back to back, assuming that they could use the same focus bracketing sequence set up.

Yes you do have to focus the camera initially of course. However I fail to see how setting up the focusing sequence and allowung the electronics of the camera to do the job is not faster than manually focusing multiple times to get all the required shots. As I stated I know others who have this capability in their camera already and it is a feature that should be available if someone so chooses to go that route. If others prefer to manual focus with multple photos that's fine. I however would like the option to choose. the EOS RP currently has the capability while the higher priced EOS R does not. 

@Hazardous wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

Yes you do have to focus the camera initially of course. However I fail to see how setting up the focusing sequence and allowung the electronics of the camera to do the job is not faster than manually focusing multiple times to get all the required shots. As I stated I know others who have this capability in their camera already and it is a feature that should be available if someone so chooses to go that route. If others prefer to manual focus with multple photos that's fine. I however would like the option to choose. the EOS RP currently has the capability while the higher priced EOS R does not. 

I will take that as "no".  You have never used it before.  Yet, you claimed that it would save you time.  I fail to see how you can make that claim having never used the feature before.  Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous wrote:

I will take that as "no".  You have never used it before.  Yet, you claimed that it would save you time.  I fail to see how you can make that claim having never used the feature before.  Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

Do you personally make a habit of arguing with everyone? This post wasn't directed at you yet you feel the need to voice your opinion. Why don't you leave the responses to those have an interest in the subject matter. Obviously you're retired and have a lot of time on your hands. I've only been involved in a couple of posts and yet magically Wadizzle appears on both of them to argue that he is right and everyone else is wrong. 

@Hazardous

I was not arguing with you.  I asked you a simple question.  How do you know that it will save you time?  I have a genuine interest in the feature as I occasionally have a need to stack a series of macro shots taking photos of coins.

Obviously, you had no good answer because you really do not know if it will save you any time.  You have never used it before.  Besides, you are the one who stuck your neck by declaring every camera should have this feature.  I simply asked why.  

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Hazardous

I was not arguing with you.  I asked you a simple question.  How do you know that it will save you time?  I have a genuine interest in the feature as I occasionally have a need to stack a series of macro shots taking photos of coins.

Obviously, you had no good answer because you really do not know if it will save you any time.  You have never used it before.  Besides, you are the one who stuck your neck by declaring every camera should have this feature.  I simply asked why.  

I'm not trying to argue with you on this. Have I ever used the feature? No as I do not have a camera that supports it. I have seen it's usefulness and I just feel that it's something that can easily be incorporated into a firmware update for the EOS R. I gave the suggestion directly to Canon and the person I spoke with agreed with me. As for if it will ever happen, I guess we shall see.

Hello everyone,

I have SEEN how the Nikon shoots the multiple focus points and have SEEN the output.  I couldn't be any quicker.  I wouldn't need extra software or any gadgets to ge the job done.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Canon equipment and have no plans of switching BUT in my humble opinion Canon is lacking in this area.  Being a macro shooter (where front to back is in focus) would be an AWESOME addition.  Hey just my personal choice.  I use software all the software as well.......just saying it would make things much easier for me.  In todays day and age, everyone is looking for a LIGHTER camera that can accomplish a multitude of tasks without extra gadgets.  I will always use software but to have internal FOCUS stacking and then compiling in camera would be wonderful.  Have a great day everyone.

I own both an EOS R and an EOS RP.  I occassionally need to take macro shots of 3-dimensional objects.  Focus stacking (or as Canon calles it "Focus Bracketing") is essential to get the images I'm looking for.  At the magnification levels I need I typically must stack between 50 and 200 images.  Images are reconstruced using Helicon or Affinity Photo Focus Merge.  These image reconstruction applications work best if the focus shift between successive shots is equal.   Before owning the EOS RP and EOS R, I used an 80D with a 100mm EF macro lens and a calibrated focusing rail.  It was slow and a real PITA.

Manual focus bracketing is an extremely tedious procedure that is very time consuming.  It's prone to error and even with a lot of attention, is not very precise.  The Canon RP (with an appropriate lens - not all Canon lenses will allow focus bracketing) used with the RP internal interval timer fully automates the process and is a tremendous time saver, image improver, and error eliminator.

Dear Canon: Since this is a software issue thet could be added to the EOS via a firmware update, why does the $1000 less expensive EOS RP have it and the (current) top of the line EOS R not have this feature?

The improved eye tracking focus provided in EOS R Firmware Update 1.6.0 was a wonderfull enhancement of the camera.  Allowing internal focus bracketing would be most welcome for users who have opted for the more costly EOS R over the nice, but much less expensive EOS RP.

C'mon Canon, Please add Focus Bracketing in the next EOS R Firmware revision.

Announcements