Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Interference between BR-E1 remote and Godox trigger?

Today I shot a series of corporate headshots on the R. Used a Godox X-Pro C triggering a Godox AD200 and 685. I used a BR-E1 bluetooth remote with the camera on a tripod. In about one in 3 or 4 exposures, neither flash fired, but when the flashes fired exposure was perfect. This was not due to insufficient charging time, as then I would expect the more powerful AD200 to fire. And the trigger is nearly new. However, when I used the camera shutter directly, the flash fired 100% of the time.

Is there some interference between the bluetooth remote and the Godox trigger?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Interference between BR-E1 remote and Godox trigger?

Does the Godox give you a choice of channels? If there is interference, changing the channel should cure it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP

It should not interfere with Bluetooth. Have you tried changing radio channels?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
VIP

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Does the Godox give you a choice of channels? If there is interference, changing the channel should cure it.

Or, using the two second shutter delay may cure it, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Or, using the two second shutter delay may cure it, too.

Yeah, but when you're doing portraits, the subjects' expressions can change awful quickly. You sort of have to capture the moment, and two seconds can seem an eternity.

Bob
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You may want to use a wired remote.

I cannot speak to the implementation of the Bluetooth software in the equipment you're using, but from writing code for Bluetooth over the years, there are typically two modes to send data.  One is "do the best you can".  The other is "retry as needed to ensure delivery".  Of course even the latter mode isn't 100% solid.

EOS 5D IV, 50mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2 L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT, Vixia HF G50
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@rs-eos wrote:

You may want to use a wired remote.

I cannot speak to the implementation of the Bluetooth software in the equipment you're using, but from writing code for Bluetooth over the years, there are typically two modes to send data.  One is "do the best you can".  The other is "retry as needed to ensure delivery".  Of course even the latter mode isn't 100% solid.

Certainly using a wired remote would correct for failure of the Bluetooth signal (as well as interference from Bluetooth, since it wouldn't be being used).

But I don't think failure of the Bluetooth signal could be the source of the OP's problem. If the Bluetooth signal didn't reach the camera at all, no picture would be taken. A picture taken without flash would not be a possible consequence.

Bob
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Ah, I had misread the issue.  Thanks for clarifying, Bob.

EOS 5D IV, 50mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2 L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT, Vixia HF G50
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Interference can still very much be an issue with this setup because Bluetooth, the Godox trigger, and a host of other devices and services are all operating in the 2.4 Ghz "ISM" (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) range.  This is also the range where you find WiFi, many car remotes, remote sensors for security and weather devices, etc. operating.  Even when another device isn't exactly on the same frequency (aka "channel"), a stronger signal from another device will cause overload and "de-sensing" of another device.  It is a failure that arose from product growth exceeding regulatory ability and exacerbated in many countries where politicians and bureaucrats were used in regulatory agency positions where engineers and physicists were needed.

It is a growing problem and can be intermittent in nature causing additional confusion for users.  I switch between summer performance and all season tire/wheel sets on one of my cars and after installing a new garage door opener I now have to drive my car a few hundred feet away before using the learn tool to pair the changed tire pressure monitor sensors to the car controller.  The car TPMS  controller and the new garage remote system are in the same basic freqeuncy range and when the learn tool is activated to pair a sensor, the garage door opener controller interprets that as an attempt to communicate with it and its more powerful transponder overrides the weak signal from the individual tire wheel sensors preventing succesful pairing.  Many people run into a similar issue when they find that their car remote start feature has reduced range in certain areas due to co-interference.  I once ran into a problem with my Hensel Expert D studio strobes which create their own WiFi network for controlling the lights via a phone app; at one event an exchange student had an off-brand phone that would cause problems with my Hensel network when she got too close.  Although I generally don't buy into the cellphone RF radiation as a cause of cancer fear, I wouldn't want to have her phone close to me all of the time and she did complain that battery life was far shorter than her older phone.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video