cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited Canon 5D Mark II

meganacuna
Contributor
Hi all! My uncle recently passed and my grandparents sent me his Canon 5D Mark II to play with. I have the Canon 80D myself which is obviously much newer with higher megapixels but it’s crop-sensor. I believe the 5D Mark II is full frame. Which do you think will product better quality photos overall? Do you have any tips on what to know for transitioning to the 5D?
3 REPLIES 3

@meganacuna wrote:
Hi all! My uncle recently passed and my grandparents sent me his Canon 5D Mark II to play with. I have the Canon 80D myself which is obviously much newer with higher megapixels but it’s crop-sensor. I believe the 5D Mark II is full frame. Which do you think will product better quality photos overall? Do you have any tips on what to know for transitioning to the 5D?

The 5D2 is indeed full-frame, but the 80D is a more modern design. The 5D2's lenses will work fine on either camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The 5D2's lenses will work fine on either camera."

While this is true, lenses designed for the 80D will not work on the 5D2. So, if you have any lenses (80D) with 'ef-s' in their name they will not fit the 5D2 at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You will probably need to become a "pixel peeper" to tell the difference. The 5D II will take better still images, especially in low light, no doubt.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements