cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indoor sports

MMILLER4024
Apprentice

I need to shoot indoor sporting events.  I have the Canon EF 70-200 2.8L IS *77 lens with a Rebel XSi body.  I am not getting the results I was hoping for.  I'm think about getting a new body, but limited on budget - $700-$800.  Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

What isn't working out AND what method (or mode) do you use for this?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The picture is either out of focus or low light.  My ISO setting will only go to 1600 so I am thinking that is the problem. I move the shutter speed around constantly trying to find the right fit and sometimes it works but with the subject constantly moving (distance) it's a challenge to keep up. The AV stays at 2.8.

Thanks

It sounds like you're doing all the right things with a superb lens, but the camera just can't keep up with this very demanding shooting situation. Canon has some good deals in their online store at this time. For example, they have a refurbished T4i for $525 or a new 60D for $700 - the ISO will go reliably to 3200 or even 6400, and may be just what you need. You could also try renting one first to see if it meets your needs.

I'd recommend a higher level of body like a 7D or maybe 70D. The AF on the 7D served me quite well shooting radio control events before I moved up to a 1D mark lV. See if you can get a refurb through Canon.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

That is what I was thinking...

Thanks for the help

"The picture is either out of focus or low light."

Remember the DOF is paper thin at f2.8. This is likely your OOF issue.

A more up-to-date camera will likely help but we used to shoot indoor sports with cameras with less than a ISO of 1600.

Remember you need to double the ISO number to gain one stop.

For example 1600 to 3200 is one stop. 1600 to 6400 is only two stops. What this is telling you is, for example your settings were f2.8 and 1/60, a camera with a 6400 ISO would be able to do f2.8 and 1/240. <----Will that fix everything?

Everybody sees the huge ISO numbers and think it is a huge change. In reality it is not a huge improvement.

What this is telling me is probably some technique changes may be of help also. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dun1
Contributor

You should be able to purchase eitther a refurbished 7D,  it give you some additional ISO to work with.  You have the correct lens to shoot indoor sports, most professional sports photographers will use this lens to shoot sports.  Where you shoot from will also have a great affect on your shots.   If you are shooting basketball for instance, if you can shoot from the baseline or the side of the court it will made a difference also.   The 7D will allow you to capture good sports shots at ISO 5000.  From experience I have found that in some instances ISO 5000 is the upper limit, noise become a factor past that ISO.  You might also give some thought to possibly using a 50 mm 1.4 lens <available for approx $339.  Your shots might be wider and require some cropping but you should be able to get shots with the 50 mm lens.

Announcements