cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Live view on my 5dsr there is no DOF preview. What am I missing?

Canonperson
Contributor

DOF preview works as expected in the viewfinder, but in LiveView nothing happens. What have I set wrong?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

It should work.  It might be subtle and hard to see in the little LCD if you are only stopped down a little bit.  Try stopping way down to f/16 or f/22 and see if you can see it then.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Canonperson wrote:

DOF preview works as expected in the viewfinder, but in LiveView nothing happens. What have I set wrong?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the viewfinder.  It is supposed to work the same way for either in the viewfinder or in LiveView.

EOS_5DS_DOF_Preview.PNG

You must press the "DOF Preview" button on the front of the camera in order to see it all.  The above screen shot is from page 209 of the instruction manual for the 5DS.  No doubt the 5DS R will operate similarly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canonperson
Contributor

OK now I see that I was flipping the lever to the left (toward the little red movie cam!) not simply pushing the On/Off button to switch to live view.

Only have had the camera two days---that's my excuse. 

Problem solved, that's great. 

Watch out for that little flip switch to Movie mode.  It is VERY easy for your finger to rub against it, and change the mode when taking the camera out of your bag, or when putting it back in.  Then, the next time you try to take a picture, the camera turn on and seem to be stuck in Live View mode, and it won't take a picture properly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements