cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing images

Jessiebug
Apprentice
I just upgraded to 5D Mark IV. I have so much to learn. All my images are labeled as "GR9A..." and Lightroom will not import. Help 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What version of Lightroom are you using?  If you have Lightroom CC and are keeping up with Adobe updates then it will support the standard RAW files (Adobe does not yet support the dual-pixel RAW files but has announced their intent to do so).

However if you have an older version of Lightroom then your camera may not be supported.  Typically when a new camera product is released, Adobe will add support for that camera in a RAW update ... but usually only for their currently shipping version of software (older versions of the program eventually stop getting updates).

I have a 5D IV and Lightroom CC and the RAW files are importing with no issues.

Incidentally, the camera name that looks like gibberish is normal.  Once upon a time all camera used the same prefix on the file name.  They stopped doing that several years ago and now use a name that starts with what appears to be a few random characters (but they are consistent so all the files start with that same prefix).  This is helpful to photographers who own multiple bodies as it lets them determine *which* if they otherwise identical bodies took that particular image (for example, if you saw sensor dust on your images, you'd know which camera needed to be cleaned.).    I've never bothered to change mine, but it occurs to me that the EOS Utility has an option to let you change the file naming convention.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

You can also change the file prefix in-camera.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Jessiebug
Apprentice
I have updated versions of software. I will try to change prefix in camera next.
Announcements