cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image screen black during operation on eos7D

Amadden
Contributor

Followed tips by pressing INFO once- still black, pressed INFO 3 times- still black. tried pressing Q- still black. tried changing batteries 3 times, all good but screen still black. yes, image view was lit &well displayed at all times.

what else should I try?

alan

13 REPLIES 13

Amadden
Contributor

l Meant to say that the image screen on camera top was well lit throughout the testing

alan

H Alan,

For our benefit, are you saying the information screen on the top of the camera is illuminated, but not displaying information?  Have you tried resetting the camera yet?

7D.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

H Alan,

For our benefit, are you saying the information screen on the top of the camera is illuminated, but not displaying information?  Have you tried resetting the camera yet?

7D.png

I think he's saying that the screen on the back of the camera isn't behaving as expected, while the screen on the top of the camera is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Correct, the image screen on top is lighted and does display all standard info. nothing wrong with it.

while viewing the photo image screens photos, that screen suddenly blackened totally.

And since one can't view any info on that screen how does one actually apply settings to correct the problem.

note that that screen blackened during standard viewing of photos; I.e., I don't recall inadvertently pressing a wrong button.

hope u can recommend an easy fix,thanks.

Well that's a bummer if even the menus are dark.  But not all is lost ... yet!  The 7D uses a CR1616 keep alive battery so all you have to do is remove both it and the big main battery for 30 minutes or so.  Upon replacement of both batteries and turning the 7D on you should have to set the date and time. If you do, the camera did reset.

This may or may not help but you need to try it before calling Canon at 1 (800) 652-2666.  I used two 7D's for years and loved that model.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ebiggs

Thanks 4your tip. I removed both batteries for 45 min, re-inserted them, but screen still black. Also tried google/ YouTube tips and one chap was successful with a different canon model by leaving both batteries out overnight.  Tried that last night but didn't work.

Googling, I learned that lack of power to image screen is a common problem with different canon models. Solutions included centering the micro switch sensor in the battery chamber with the tip of a ball point pen or scalpel blade tip., and also keeping the sensor realigned with a very small piece of plastic strip, kept in place with a very small bead of glue gun glue. Two other tips by 2 other parties were to also remove the lens and then re-attach it, but that did not work 4 the 2 who tried it,. Two persons said that there is another microswitch in the memory card chamber, but neither could locate it for certain they said.

Any other suggestion? Meanwhile, I'll keep googling to learn as much as I can.

You know who would have all the information you're looking for? Canon Support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), or visit our support site for self-help options HERE.

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find your support options. 

@Amadden wrote:

Ebiggs

Thanks 4your tip. I removed both batteries for 45 min, re-inserted them, but screen still black. Also tried google/ YouTube tips and one chap was successful with a different canon model by leaving both batteries out overnight.  Tried that last night but didn't work.

Googling, I learned that lack of power to image screen is a common problem with different canon models. Solutions included centering the micro switch sensor in the battery chamber with the tip of a ball point pen or scalpel blade tip., and also keeping the sensor realigned with a very small piece of plastic strip, kept in place with a very small bead of glue gun glue. Two other tips by 2 other parties were to also remove the lens and then re-attach it, but that did not work 4 the 2 who tried it,. Two persons said that there is another microswitch in the memory card chamber, but neither could locate it for certain they said.

Any other suggestion? Meanwhile, I'll keep googling to learn as much as I can.

You're out of your depth. Anytime you see "sensor" and "glue gun" in the same sentence, you're reading bad advice. Call Canon.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Anytime you see "sensor" and "glue gun" in the same sentence, you're reading bad advice."

Amen!  Smiley Surprised Call Canon at this point as the reset didn't help. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements