cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Glitches and Video Automatically Stops Recording

d4cooperp
Apprentice

I just bought an EOS 5D Mark IV and I am having trouble with image glitches (see picture) and the camera automatically ends recording sometimes. Any suggestions to fix this or should I return the camera to get a new one?

666A0212.jpg

UPDATE:

Canon said the issue was with the third party battery I was using. I started only using Canon batteries and haven't had any problems.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There could also be an issue with the memeory card you are using.  Which card slot are you using for video?

What brand and model memory cards are you using?  Did you format them in the camera?  Low level format the SD card?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

This happened with two different cards. I tried the low level format last night so I will see what happens today. Thanks for the advice.

Call Canon, they will walk you through and tell you whether you should return the camera or not. If you have the issue with two cards, it sounds like a camera problem.

kimikai
Contributor
* deleted.. came to this forum trying to figure out an issue and to see if anyone else had a similar issue. All my replies were deleted so I guess sharing personal experience is not allowed.. Aloha

@kimikai wrote:

I had this issue as well with a few day old refurbished model I purchased from Canon referbished website.. I shoot in Raw so I never realized this was happening while shooting because the jpeg preview was fine .. lost hundreds of images from 2 weddings =(  It was corrupting files on both cards at same time. 

Didn’t you fully test the camera out before going on a critical shoot?  To not process images for 20 days sounds like pretty long time to not at least dabble with post processing images from a new camera.

I have purchased a number of bodies and lenses from the Refurbished Store, and nothing was bad out of the gate.  It is my understanding that all of the gear is hand checked and tested.  Where the gear comes from is anyone’s guess.  My guess would that most of them are customer returns, and the original packaging has been compromised to the point where it cannot be resold be a dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kimikai wrote:

I had this issue as well with a few day old refurbished model I purchased from Canon referbished website.. I shoot in Raw so I never realized this was happening while shooting because the jpeg preview was fine .. lost hundreds of images from 2 weddings =(  It was corrupting files on both cards at same time. 

Didn’t you fully test the camera out before going on a critical shoot?  To not process images for 20 days sounds like pretty long time to not at least dabble with post processing images from a new camera.

I have purchased a number of bodies and lenses from the Refurbished Store, and nothing was bad out of the gate.  It is my understanding that all of the gear is hand checked and tested.  Where the gear comes from is anyone’s guess.  My guess would that most of them are customer returns, and the original packaging has been compromised to the point where it cannot be resold be a dealer.

Yes, I did test the camera.. I shot test images, downloaded, edited, exported but didn’t notice any issues. Issue didn't turn up until shooting a lot of images consecutively.  20 days of not editing is not a very long time when you are a veteran wedding photographer (11years) in a destination wedding location (Maui) during heavy wedding season. As I mentioned I downloaded all my cards to my computer/ Lightroom, looked through them and the images looked fine so I did not see an issue. I have been a Canon user for 15 years and have loved all of my gear.. I currently shoot with 2 5d MK 3’s & a 5d MK 2 .. I have owned so many cameras over the years.. this is the 1st camera I have ever had an issue with. I am not saying all refurbished products are bad, just relating my expirience 😃

Announcements