cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Distance

pinnkoob
Contributor

Hi

In my 7D and 700D, I always used to set my distance on the 100mm macro lens to 1:3 (1.52ft) to take intra-oral dental images. For potrait images I set the lens to 5ft. I take these images on a Manual setting

I have changed over to the 6Dii, the same settings makes the images appear at a further distance. I have to set the lens to a 1:2 distance to get the same effect for intra-oral effects or stand closer to the subject to get the desired potrait shots

Please is there some setting that I have not correctly done?  Please can someone kindly help as this is driving me nuts?

thanks Pinks

9 REPLIES 9

Ray-uk
Whiz

Your explanation is correct. The 6DII is a full frame camera whereas your previous cameras where APSC crop cameras. What this means is that sensors on you previous cameras were smaller which has the effect of only showing part of the central area of the image that you would obtain with a full frame camera, this gives the impression that the image appears more magnified with a crop camera.

There is a lot of information about this on the web and if you carry out a search for digital sensor size you should find plenty of sites that will explain it better than I have.

pinnkoob
Contributor
Thank you for and that makes a bit more sense even to me. I thought going full frame was going to be an advantage but maybe not for my type of photography. Which is fine - I will re-adapt as I am beginning to like this camera more and more (I paid enough for it!!)
But importantly I have done some disastrous to the camera
Thank you though - you have been very kind

Pinks

The difference is actually in the lens not the camera.  You will need to use a 160mm macro lens to get the same perspective as you had before with the 7D, 70D. However, not wanting to go that route you can probably enlarge or crop the 6D2 photo to the same perspective and possibly get even better photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The difference is actually in the lens not the camera. 

Oh, so I can convert my crop camera to full frame by changing the lens !

Perhaps you may wish to rethink that statement.

"...to get the same perspective..."

Perhaps you might learn to read!

EB

Still not the lens.

"Still not the lens."

Yet, some how, some way it will work!  Amazing, ain't it?

EB

pinnkoob
Contributor
Great thank you for all your help. I am unlikely to go for 160mm macro but good to know!
Thant’s do much!

pinnkoob
Contributor
Thank you all the issue Is understood and as I gave no intention of switching to a 160mm, I will go nearer the subject 🙂
Announcements