cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDxII shortfalls.

Edward
Enthusiast

The lack of Wi-Fi, HDR capability, a full touch LCD with automatic brightness control (as in the 5D series), short battery life and failure to reduce size and weight are disappointing. The card slots arrangement is strange, both cards fronts should have faced in the same direction when inserting and the Slot 1 selected for the CFast card instead of the old Compact Flash. The improvements in image quality and autofocus performance in my opinion, are minimal compared to the previous model, not to mention the competition. And the dual battery charger; why not a charger for a single battery or having an option for buying one? In these days of flying, any reduction in size and weight makes the gear easy to carry and accepted as a carry-on v.s. a check-in---international airlines are limiting carry-ons to just one not to exceed to 9 kilos.

­

Ergonomically the camera's undersized control buttons make it difficult to use with gloves in cold weather, and the failure to provided illuminated ones make them hard to see at nighttime (Yes Canon, there is nightime photography). When using long telephotos handheld or on a tripod, the 3 control buttons on the top left of the camera are hard to operate and should have been positioned as in the 5D series or 7DII for ease of use and conformity of design. This change would also have resulted in a cleaner top deck look and reduction in control buttons for the 1DxII. The remote control terminal at the bottom of the handgrip should have been moved to the front left as in the current 5DIV, its present location interferes when handholding the 1DxII when devices are attached.

Most camera manufacturers release professional gear having the best technologies that then trickles down into cheaper models; Canon has this reversed. As an example, touch screen has now moved up to the 5DIV; it could have been incorporated into the 1DxII. T­his stingy marketing strategy of small incremental improvements causes Canon sales; the reason why I am not purchasing a 5DIV and may skip the 1DxIII too.

35 REPLIES 35

B from B,

"Canon will pull ahead again; they always do."

They didn't with the 1Dx Mk II now did they?  You haven't used a D5 have you?

Removing the AA filter after you buy a six grand camera is simply nonsense, as someone mentioned to do.  Canon needs to seriously think things over with the next 1Dx and 5D Mk V.  The little do-dads the OP wants are just fluff compared to the sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"Canon will pull ahead again; they always do."

They didn't with the 1Dx Mk II now did they?  You haven't used a D5 have you?

Removing the AA filter after you buy a six grand camera is simply nonsense, as someone mentioned to do.  Canon needs to seriously think things over with the next 1Dx and 5D Mk V.  The little do-dads the OP wants are just fluff compared to the sensor.

I hear what you're saying, but not why you're saying it. What is it that makes the sensor of the D5 so much better than that of the 5D4 or the 1Dx2?

No, I haven't used any of the three cameras at issue, My most recent camera is a 5D3, whose sensor seems to me to be pretty good. But frankly, so do those on my 7D's and my wife's 7D2. What am I missing?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...whose sensor seems to me to be pretty good."

Robert it is pretty good.  That is the issue.  It needs to be the best or at least equal to the best.  Otherwise you do not have the best DSLR.  You just have a good one.  If that is the goal I suppose Canon has achieved it.  You really need to try a D5 or a Sony and see for yourself.  Me quoting you a bunch of specs isn't showing you anything.  Lot's of people can read specs.  That is blatantly obvious.  Don't ever think Canon doesn't know what Nikon has..  They test and know all the available brands out there.  And not just cameras but lenses too.  Everything!

EB

Is not about what Nikon or Sony have...is what makes the 1DxII more user friendly such as bigger buttons for use with gloves and illuminated ones for night photography.

No such thing like capitalism anymore. Let's stay with hoping that Canon listen...some agree with the points I mentioned in the original post...other have other issues. I am not alone.

" Let's stay with hoping that Canon listen..."

Amen!  Smiley Wink

EB
Announcements