Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

IBIS with EF Lenses

My R5 arrived on Monday. One of the first tests I was curious about was how good would IBIS + in lens IS be on something like my EF 16-35 f/4L IS. In two different tests, I really did not see much of an improvement over in-lens IS only, getting down to hand holdable shots around 1/8 to 1/4 of a second and not the 1-2 secs I am hearing go by with those using the RF 15-35. Of course, much of this could be the EF mount, fewer connection pins, etc. But I am curious what others are finding with their EF lenses.

Highlighted
VIP

Re: IBIS with EF Lenses

I believe that 5-axis IBIS is only available to native mount RF lenses.  When you use the EF mount adapter, IBIS functions in a degraded 2-axis mode, similar to the IS modes available on many L Series EF telephoto lenses. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

I believe that 5-axis IBIS is only available to native mount RF lenses.  When you use the EF mount adapter, IBIS functions in a degraded 2-axis mode, similar to the IS modes available on many L Series EF telephoto lenses. 

IBIS is 5-axis with all lenses, but most effective with native RF lenses.

Highlighted
VIP

@PLee wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

No, it doesn't. IBIS works in a degraded mode when you using the EF mount adapter.  There are videos all over YouTube complaining about it.  And then, third party lens compatibiity is a different conversation entirely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

@PLee wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

No, it doesn't. IBIS works in a degraded mode when you using the EF mount adapter.  There are videos all over YouTube complaining about it.  And then, third party lens compatibiity is a different conversation entirely.

The fact that IBIS with Canon EF lenses with or without IS does not improve shake correcton as much as it would with a comparable RF lens does not mean that IBIS is not 5-axis when used with EF mount lenses. This point also applies to third-party EF lenses. As to the original post, I am stating the obvious but shake correction effectiveness varies from person to person. Just because someone else can handhold a certain lens for consistently sharp exposures at 2 seconds is no guarantee that someone will be able to do that as well.

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

@PLee wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@PLee wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The fact that IBIS with Canon EF lenses with or without IS does not improve shake correcton as much as it would with a comparable RF lens does not mean that IBIS is not 5-axis when used with EF mount lenses. This point also applies to third-party EF lenses. As to the original post, I am stating the obvious but shake correction effectiveness varies from person to person. Just because someone else can handhold a certain lens for consistently sharp exposures at 2 seconds is no guarantee that someone will be able to do that as well.

I guess you missed the Rudy Winston video when he explained during the product rollout.  [I quit.]

Highlighted
VIP

@PLee wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@PLee wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Here, perhaps this quote from Canon might change your mind.  I cannot find the Rudy Winston video clip where describes IBIS operating in 2-axis mode with the EF mount adapter.

https://global.canon/en/news/2020/20200213.html 

"What's more, the EOS R5 will be the first Canon camera equipped with a high-performance coordinated image stabilization (IS) system that integrates the camera's in-body IS with IS systems on attached RF lenses."

Notice that the announcement only mentions RF lenses.  IBIS functions in a degraded mode with the EF mount adapter.

Highlighted
VIP

Here is the Canon USA web site product page.  You do not get 5-axis stabilization with each and every lens.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-c... 

"The 5-axis in-body image stabilization can effectively compensate for camera shake with approximately 8 stops of stabilization with use of certain non-stabilized, and optically image stabilized lenses."