cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wanted to buy a new Canon EOS 7D mark ii, but my computer's OS is Windows Vista x64.

BG
Contributor

Will the Canon software install? I think it is the Canon EOS digital solution disk Ver 29.1.

22 REPLIES 22

BG
Contributor

Some people demand the portability of a laptop over a desktop. I understand. However, there are some of us for whom a desktop computer is the only practical solution. I have plugged in three printers, two scanners, three external storage devices, a keyboard and a mouse, sound, plus whatever temporary things I plug in like four Canon cameras.

Within the past week, the only new thing that I have had Zero problems with was the Canon camera with its software.

ezpop
Rising Star

yeah, desk top with big screen display allows me pixel peep better. hehe

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I doubt anything associated with the 7D Mk II will be compatibile with Vista.  Smiley Sad 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Microsoft no longer supports Vista and XP. If you're a holdout and are connected to the Internet, you'll leave yourself vulnerable to operating system attacks. If I were in the hacing business, I'd probably target computers lacking updated software. Just saying...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

By all means stop the payment.  You have the right to not pay for something that was not as promised.

BTW, who likes MS?  Ahhh.....nobody?  You should probably take Dell's offer and get the new replacement machine.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm surprised that they would be able remotely install a new OS at all.  One would think all those remote connections would be severed as you upgrade.  If you tried to maintain some sort of structure to allow those kinds of processes, well, that could explain why it wouldn't be successful.

I'm all for upgrading to new computers and new OS, because you want to upgrade.  But buying a new computer for your camera is a little extreme.  As others said, you really don't need the Canon software.  Only time I use it is to tether.

Upgrading your OS yourself really isn't that hard.  I was amazed last time I did it how much simplier it is now.  Buy an OEM Win 7 off Amazon.  Backup all your files to an external drive - which you should have anyway.  Reformat your drive and install a fresh copy of Windows.  Reinstall your software.  A bit of a hassle, perhaps.  But the performance upgrades are worth it - Windows boggs down after a few years of use, you'll notice a marked increase in performance just from reinstalling the same OS.  You're probably going to need the performance boost anyway, assuming that your computer was designed to run Vista, not Win 7.

You say that I really do not need Canon software. I guess that is your opinion. Personally, DPP is one of my workhorses. The old version of DPP did not support the new camera, and the new version of DPP would not install with the old OS. However, Microsoft was not able to upgrade the old OS as they had agreed to do. This is not the place for us to discuss why the Microsoft technician tried to do this in the first place (since it was against Microsoft procedures), but he managed to get $99 charged to me for something that could not be done, and his supervisor was quite dismayed that it had been attempted. I just spent another hour on the telephone complaining to the Microsoft billing department. Of course, they transferred me to technical support. Technical support transferred me back to billing support. After a few laps of that, one billing support guy agreed to process the refund against my credit card, and it would take no more than 3-5 days. We shall see.

Meanwhile, I am busy reading Canon manuals and procedures. So far, nothing wrong there.

You say that I really do not need Canon software. I guess that is your opinion.

Technically, it's fact.  You do not need the Canon software.  I understand if you want to use DPP, that's fine.  We're just saying, there are other options.

However, Microsoft was not able to upgrade the old OS as they had agreed to do.  This is not the place for us to discuss why the Microsoft technician tried to do this in the first place. 

I guess.  Really we can discuss whatever we want here.  I was, again, just trying to point out another option.  I would not upgrade in this situation.  I would wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install.  A little more work, but a lot more to gain.

Meanwhile, I am busy reading Canon manuals and procedures. So far, nothing wrong there.

I'm not sure what you're looking for.  I'm really not sure what the question is at this point.  The Canon software won't run on VIsta.  So either don't run the Canon software, or upgrade your OS (be it by upgrade, fresh install, or new computer).

I don't want to be the unpaid quality control department for Dell Computers. I'll just handle the problem myself.  By the way, that will be the last Dell computer that I buy.

Dell makes some quality computers.  They also make cheap crappy ones.  Depends on what you got, and even then, lemons can happen to any electronic equipment, no matter the company.  But those $500 laptops can be a gamble. 

Regardless, I don't understand your issue.  If you bought a new computer and it doesn't work, send it back.  I would deal with Tech Support long enough to establish that it wasn't user error, and then I'd send it back and either ask for a new one, or change models/brands if I thought that was the issue.  I understand that you're frustrated, but you seem to be spinning your wheels instead of simply fixing the problem.

I have no idea what $500 laptops you refer to, or any laptops for that matter.

If you don't understand the question, you do not need to respond.

I can't imagine why you're having trouble with customer service.

Announcements