cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wanted to buy a new Canon EOS 7D mark ii, but my computer's OS is Windows Vista x64.

BG
Contributor

Will the Canon software install? I think it is the Canon EOS digital solution disk Ver 29.1.

22 REPLIES 22

@BG wrote:

Will the Canon software install? I think it is the Canon EOS digital solution disk Ver 29.1.

It's been several years since I had my brief fling with Vista, but my opinion at the time was that it wasn't nearly as bad as many of its disgruntled users made it out to be. Nevertheless, Windows 7 was a significant improvement. The bottom line is that it might work for you or it might not.

You may have a hard time getting a more definite answer. You're probably one of the last people in this forum using Vista.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Based on the info from the canon support site it looks like no.

Capture.JPG

But, you can download the CD disk image and try to install the software and see what happens.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'll ask "do you need the Canon software"? I've been shooting Canon since 2004 & rarely use any of the Canon software. I'll be buying a 7D2 in the spring & I don't expect to update my computers & they all run XP.  I use Photoshop & Adobe Camera RAW to process RAW files rather than DPP although I have used DPP.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Unfortunately not, as well as new versions of Adobe Photoshop and Camera Raw with support of the 7D2. But you can download free DNG converter from Adobe to convert your Raw files. Not a very straightforward solution, unfortunately...

Did you get the software running on your Vista X64. I have the same OS, and I am very interested in purchasing the 7D Mark II.

I know I need to upgrade the os or even purchase a new laptop, just not right now,

let me know. Thank you.

BG
Contributor

I was using Vista x64 until last week, and I came to the determination that the new Canon software was not going to work with it. Finally, I threw in the towel. I contacted Microsoft, and the tech support guy _claimed_ that the machine could be upgraded to Windows 7, but that it would require premium support ($99 fee). I thought about it and then agreed. The charge was initiated, and then this guy spent five hours trying to get there from here. Finally, he threw in the towel, and it is not as easy as he had thought. Then I went around and around with the supervisor about this. At a minimum, they had to reverse the fee. They claimed that they couldn't do that, either. So, let's just say that Microsoft is not at the top of my favorites list. So, after thinking about it a bit more, I decided to buy a new machine with Windows 7 on it (not Windows 8). The new Dell machine was purchased and then installed. After a while, I was able to install the new Canon software and other software successfully. By the next day, I discovered some technical problems on the new machine. Basically, there was a fault on the motherboard. So, I had to get Dell tech support involved. They remotely worked on it for hours, and then they threw in the towel. I had to get the supervisor involved, and he would offer me the option of taking the entire computer back to the store to get a total exchange. That was unacceptable because of all of my time spent installing software. Now, Dell is skating out over the horizon, so they are not at the top of my favorites list. They did say that they could have a technician dispatched to my location to swap out the motherboard (leaving the hard disk intact). It just was not worth all of this trouble. I'll fix the problem myself. The only thing working right is the Canon camera with its software.

I can't help with the Microsoft problem, but if you paid by credit card you could file a dispute through them. MS didn't do what you paid them for. Might be sucessful.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm confident your bank/credit card will revsere the charge for you.  I do recall having an issue with a vendor who wouldn't reverse a charge I had previously agreed to pay... and subsequently failed to provide the service I purchased.

While the vendor protested that the charge was "non-refundable", the bank took my side claiming that the notion of "non-refundable" implies that I received the service for which I paid... but now have changed my mind.  But the vendor had NOT provided the service for which I paid and the bank refused to allow them to charge me considering that they had not lived up to their end of the obligation.

So... considering you paid for an upgrade service that you never got... I'm thinking you're probably on pretty solid footing in expecting to have the charge reversed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Vivi
Apprentice

What a horror story. After reading these posts, and really thinking it over, I decided to purchase a new laptop. I am buying 8.1 but will load Win 7 over it. Thank you all so much for taking the time to advise me of the post.

I will get my laptop settled and then buy that 7D. I went to Samy's Cameras  today to hold it. As I left the building I told the salespeople to take care of my camera.

Announcements