cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need major help with my camera.

MattSowards
Contributor

Hi, I'm a YouTuber/Livestreamer. I bought the Canon EOS M3 in hopes for a great camera for a great price and to use it for Livestreaming and Making YouTube videos. While it's great for videos, I have to manually use a SD card reader, move the files, and so on. I found that some other Canon cameras can simply be plugged into the computer and be ready to use, even used on Livestreams. 

It seems that the Canon EOS M3 does not have any software that can mirror the camera.

Is there anyway I can see my Canon Camera on my computer, mirrored screen maybe?

Thanks,

Matt.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@MattSowards wrote:
If by that you mean the EOS Utility, Yes i've installed it but no remote viewing on it.

Yes, that is a limitation of the. M3.  No remote shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It sounds like you may be looking for a camera that supports "Clean HDMI Output".

Normally if you connect a camera's HDMI output port to a monitor, you're going to see everything that would be displayed on the camera's own internal display (including all the extra info you see overlaid on the display intended to provide useful info to the camera operator)  In other words, you just want the clean video... nothing else.

Canon supports this in some of their more expensive models such as the 5D III & IV and a few others... but it's not in any of the EOS M series, Rebel series, mid-level series cameras like the 70D or 80D, etc.  Of course Canon's true video cameras and also the "Cinema EOS" line (which are also true video cameras) also support it.

Magic Lantern is a 3rd party firmware supplement that adds capabilities to Canon cameras that they don't otherwise natively support and I belive Magic Lantern does offer "clean HDMI output", however I'm checking their list and while they support the Canon EOS M (and donly if it has firmware version 2.0.2 ... and 2.0.3 is the latest but is not supported), they do not support the EOS M3 (on any firmware version).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@MattSowards wrote:
I see, Yeah this is a real bummer as I found this camera used mostly for Vlogs and used by many YouTubers i figured it'd have the capability to use on my computer with live remote viewing.

I seriously appreciate your research and well that's even worse that even magic lantern don't support EOS M3.

Even if it could be remotely controlled, the battery is a bit small for extended video work.  I do not think there is an AC adapter available, either.  You need a video camera, or at least a camcorder.

As previously noted, you have a camera designed first, and foremost, to take still photographs.  Making videos is not a priority, but rather a bell and whistle.  Most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras have a tendency to overheat during extended use in video modes, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements