cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like my 80D - BUT

Goswick
Contributor

The Canon 80D was my first venture into DSLR cameras (been using traditional video cameras up to now). I "thought" I did a lot of research before I decided on the Canon 80D but I missed some important (to me at least) features.

I did not realize that there is a 29 min/59 second constraint on the camera when shooting video. After further research it appears that is a typical DSLR "feature" not only with Canon. After further research it was suggested that I could use an Atomos Ninja for my long-form videos and as luck would have it I already owned a Ninja. I was happy to be able to solve my problem BUT after testing the Canon/Ninja configuration out I was extremely disappointed to find out that the Canon 80D does not supply audio to the Ninja via the HDMI port. That is a major shortcoming with the canon 80D..not sure what good video is without audio.

As I already said..guess i didn't do enough research before I bought my DSLR camera. My bad but don't understand the HDMI audio issue at all. 

24 REPLIES 24

ArtsDrive
Apprentice
HDSLR and the L series lenses are unmatched for imaging!!! I shoot plenty of video with a pro level Canon video camera but I'd prefer my HDSLR except for the audio glitch

ArtsDrive
Apprentice
I couldn't agree more video is useless without audio H DMI carries both So it's beyond curious as to why it's not part of the HDMI out.

Honestly I'm having to switch cameras because of that, and I have been a dedicated Canon user for 40 years. Hopefully the new 90D has resolved this issue.

ArtsDrive, there is a work around to get audio out to the Atomos Ninja from the Canon 80D. If you plug a 3.5 mm audio cable into the Headphone jack (not the mic jack) of the 80d, and then plug the other end into the Mic/Line of the Ninja Flame, it will give you audio that way when recording to the Ninja. You can also hook up an external mic to the hotshoe and plug that into the mic jack of the camera. Then on the Ninja go into the Audio section and uncheck the Red Record if they're on for channels 1/2, 3/4, etc, and go over to the channel on the far right and select the red Record for both Left and Right channels.

I used that setup for the last few years before selling the 80D and it worked great.  Good luck to you. 🙂

Thank you. That's great info. I"m shooting with the Sling Studio and while there is a line in for audio, it gets complicated with three more cameras. I think I may buy an XA50 or 90D.

howsimple
Apprentice

The way around this is to use the headphone output into the mic/line of the Ninja. 

Announcements