cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like my 80D - BUT

Goswick
Contributor

The Canon 80D was my first venture into DSLR cameras (been using traditional video cameras up to now). I "thought" I did a lot of research before I decided on the Canon 80D but I missed some important (to me at least) features.

I did not realize that there is a 29 min/59 second constraint on the camera when shooting video. After further research it appears that is a typical DSLR "feature" not only with Canon. After further research it was suggested that I could use an Atomos Ninja for my long-form videos and as luck would have it I already owned a Ninja. I was happy to be able to solve my problem BUT after testing the Canon/Ninja configuration out I was extremely disappointed to find out that the Canon 80D does not supply audio to the Ninja via the HDMI port. That is a major shortcoming with the canon 80D..not sure what good video is without audio.

As I already said..guess i didn't do enough research before I bought my DSLR camera. My bad but don't understand the HDMI audio issue at all. 

24 REPLIES 24

Since you have the Ninja Atomos you could have checked what Canon devices arfe compatible with it befor you purchased.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Since you have the Ninja Atomos you could have checked what Canon devices arfe compatible with it befor you purchased.

Yup...but didn't know that I need to use the Ninja until after buying the camera. 

@John_SD wrote:

I am seeing quite a few posts from guys who are basically using their cameras primarily as camcorders. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to simply buy a camcorder?

t may be but if Canon is going to offer video capabilities in their DSLR then the customer should expect to have a level of basic video capabilities. In my humble opinion, not passing audio through HDMI is a basic feature that even my cell phone has. I can live with the 30 minute limitation if I could do the work around with the Ninja.

The misconception is this, DSLR's are still cameras that do video.  They are not video cameras that do stills.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Something to consider...

The main purpose of the camera is "imaging".  At a lower tier of video users (short home video clips) a user might be happy to capture video with sound via the camera's built-in microphone.  But for serious videographers, the built-in microphone doesn't provide the audio quality they want -- so they're using external audio anyway.

If you'd rather use the HDMI out for the video and record on an external device, why not go the whole way and use external audio recording on an external device.   The internal audio capabilities of a DSLR isn't really any DLSRs strongest feature.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Be sure to follow up with Canon as posted above. Looks like they want to help you out.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Goswick
Contributor
In the words of Forest Gump (well kinda).." I'm not a smart man but I know what a traditional video camera is" Yes I realize the internal audio isn't of great quality and yes I do use an external audio recording device BUT in order to sync the video with the audio from the external recording device one would want a "reference audio track from the video.

This post has about reached it's usefulness...I solved my problem by attaching a wireless mic to the camera.

The video from this camera is in no way limited except for constraints I have listed in the OP. I have seen great video **bleep** by a cell phone...it ain't the camera that makes the quality of the video - it is the person behind it.

"it ain't the camera that makes the quality of the video - it is the person behind it."

To a point, this is true.  But a great videographer will do better with great video gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Jayling
Apprentice

Hello Goswick, I realize this is an old post and you already solved the problem by using a wireless mic, but I just wanted to add something. I was the same, not realizing that there wasn't audio out through the hdmi with the Canon 80D. I just got the Ninja Flame today and had the same issues as you, no audio. But I did find a video over on Vimeo that helped me out. If you plug a 3.5 mm audio cable into the Headphone jack (not the mic jack) of the 80d, and then plug the other end into the Mic/Line of the Ninja Flame, it will give you audio that way.

I did try to plug a Rode Videomic Go directly to the Ninja, but still couldn't get any audio. That has me puzzled as I'd like a better mic to use.

Take care now and sorry for resurrecting an old post. 🙂

Jayling

Is there a link please ?

Announcements