cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchased a canon 60 D what is the body made of, Is It better than earlier models.

Eddie1952
Contributor

I have had some discussions on the material that  the body of the canon 60 D Is made of, some say cheaper but lighter, any help on this subject would be helpful.

2 REPLIES 2

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@Eddie1952 wrote:

I have had some discussions on the material that  the body of the canon 60 D Is made of, some say cheaper but lighter, any help on this subject would be helpful.

It is a plastic over metal construction like the Rebel series. Some of the better reviews online go into detail about the construction. I use one without a grip as a smaller, lighter alternative to my other bodies and I don't mind the construction at all.

I don't know how I'd feel about using it with the grip as my main body, though.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

High-end bodies such as the 1D, 5D, and 7D series bodies are made out of magnesium alloy -- a lightweight metal casting. These bodies also tend to be weather-sealed.

Entry-range bodies such as the entire Rebel line are made out of polycarbonate plastic.  The "plastic" is actually quite tough and durable -- I would not describe it as being low quality or "cheap" but it is certainly less expensive and easier to manufacture.  These bodies generally do not get a weather-sealed treatment (e.g. no gaskets and o-rings at the seams and other openings.)  I've seen some bodies take fairly serious whacks and suprisingly they don't show any signs of damage or body failure other than cosmetic surface scratches.  So if you're afraid the body is "cheap" as in "flimsy" or "fragile" -- no, you don't have to worry nor handle your camera like it's your finest china.

In the case of the 60D, it's a polycarbonate, but it is actually weather-sealed.  Keep in mind that weather-sealed does not mean weather-proof.  The point of the seals is to protect the camera interior from dust and moisture -- the moisture typically being in the form of light rain, sprays and splash if you're near water, etc.  It's not water-proof (don't attempt to submerge it -- not even briefly).  If you get caught in the rain or get splashed, it's no big deal... just make sure you towel it dry before opening any flaps or doors.   Also... most lenses are NOT weather sealed, but some are (Many of the L series lenses are weather sealed.  You always have to read the specs to know.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements