cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchased a 6D. is there a way to use the grid in other than auto mode?

camead60
Apprentice

I just purchase a 6 D.  Is there a way to use the grid in other than auto mode?  Also, is there a way to use the self timer in other than auto mode?

thanks very much; i look forward to your feedback.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

I have to assume your camera came with a manual which you will need to rely on. In my manual for my 7D mark 2 the index near the very end of the manual lists the applicapable pages for anything relating to using either of those. Grid is under G, Self Timer is under S and called "self timer".

If you are using a computer based pdf to view the info there will most likely be multiple pages listed but you can click on a page number to get to it rather than scroll up to it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

amfoto1
Authority

@camead60 wrote:

I just purchase a 6 D.  Is there a way to use the grid in other than auto mode?  Also, is there a way to use the self timer in other than auto mode?

I'm trying to understand what you are wanting to do...

First, there are two ways where "the grid" might be displayed: On the rear LCD screen (in Live View), or in the camera's optical viewfinder.

By "the grid", do you mean displaying the grid on the camera's rear LCD screen, to help align vertical and horizontal lines (such as when shooting buildings)? If so, 6D (and most Canon models) you can simply enable the grid in the menu, to display this way in Live View. It also is a "rule of thirds" compositional aid. It is usable in all exposure modes (but might be turned off by default in the highly automated SCN or Green Box/A+ modes.... I don't know because I never use thsoe).

On the other hand, if you want to see the grid when looking through the viewfinder, you'll need to buy an accessory focus screen. I think it's focus screen "Eg-D", same as my 5D Mark II uses.  This replaces the standard focus screen (Eg-A?) that comes with the camera. It's used in the same way as the grid on the rear LCD, to help keep horizons level, vertical walls vertical in your images... and it can be helpful as a compositional aid. Note that if you use this replacement screen, on all camera models I'm aware of there's a Custom Function that needs to be set to keep the light meter accurate (due to slight changes in the light transmitted through the focus screen).

Since the accessory "grid" focus screen completely replaced the existing one, you'll see it all the time when looking through the viewfinder, no matter what exposure mode or automation setting is used.

7D-series, 5D Mark III, 70D and 1DX are all different from 6D. These models have "grid on demand" in the viewfinder, too... It's enabled with a menu setting or custom function, similar to the Live View grid display on your camera. These models use a transmissve LCD focus screen that makes this possible, so there is no need to physically replace the focus screen to display the grid in the viewfinder. But your 6D doesn't have this. You have to replace the focus screen, if you want to see the grid in your viewfinder.  Here is a link to the replacement screen, available on Amazon.com (and many other places).

As to the self-timer, that is usable in many of the camera modes. On most Canon models there are 2-second and 10-second delay self-timers, selectable via the drive speed button on top of the camera. Again, this feature might be disabled in some of the highly automated modes such as SCN or Green Box/A+ (but I don't know for certain, since I never use those modes). But it's certainly available in M, Av, Tv, and P modes.

Being new to your camera, the user manual will be a big help. But it also can be overwhelming and seem confusing, so don't hesitate to ask questions here or on other forums if need be. We all were inexperienced "newbies" at one time or another, though sometimes we might seem to forget. Smiley Wink

Also, there are some excellent guide books available, that expand upon and further explain using the camera. Here's a link to what can be found on Amazon, for example. Any time I get a new camera, I always buy at least one of these guide books to help me get up to speed using the camera quickly. I'm sure many of them are good, but have David Busch's, Charlotte Lowrie's and Michael Guncheon's guides for various Canon models and can recommend those.

If you are new to photography and DSLRs, or even if you have some experience, you also might find a more general guide such as Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" very helpful.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

I have to assume your camera came with a manual which you will need to rely on. In my manual for my 7D mark 2 the index near the very end of the manual lists the applicapable pages for anything relating to using either of those. Grid is under G, Self Timer is under S and called "self timer".

If you are using a computer based pdf to view the info there will most likely be multiple pages listed but you can click on a page number to get to it rather than scroll up to it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

THanks for your help!  I didnt realize there was an index as it wasnt in the chapter headings.  guess i will have to learn how to navigate the manual.

@camead60 wrote:

THanks for your help!  I didnt realize there was an index as it wasnt in the chapter headings.  guess i will have to learn how to navigate the manual.

Most modern manuals have crappy indexes, and the Canon manuals are no exception. You're probably better off downloading the PDF version and searching it for keywords.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

As a long time Canon user & auto mechanic reading manuals is a part of life because things do change BUT I do think that index belongs at the front of our manuals rather than at the end. Either way however it is very useful IF you can guess the manufacturers name for the specific thing you need to learn.

Thank you, i found the index which will help alot.  400 pages of manual via pdf onscreen is a bit intimidating to say the least but now i can hopefully find the specific topic i am interested in.  for some reason i find it much more difficult to go through a manual on a computer screen than via hard copy (guess because i am old!)

thanks again, cathy

amfoto1
Authority

@camead60 wrote:

I'm trying to understand what you are wanting to do...

First, there are two ways where "the grid" might be displayed: On the rear LCD screen (in Live View), or in the camera's optical viewfinder.

By "the grid", do you mean displaying the grid on the camera's rear LCD screen, to help align vertical and horizontal lines (such as when shooting buildings)? If so, 6D (and most Canon models) you can simply enable the grid in the menu, to display this way in Live View. It also is a "rule of thirds" compositional aid. It is usable in all exposure modes (but might be turned off by default in the highly automated SCN or Green Box/A+ modes.... I don't know because I never use thsoe).

On the other hand, if you want to see the grid when looking through the viewfinder, you'll need to buy an accessory focus screen. I think it's focus screen "Eg-D", same as my 5D Mark II uses.  This replaces the standard focus screen (Eg-A?) that comes with the camera. It's used in the same way as the grid on the rear LCD, to help keep horizons level, vertical walls vertical in your images... and it can be helpful as a compositional aid. Note that if you use this replacement screen, on all camera models I'm aware of there's a Custom Function that needs to be set to keep the light meter accurate (due to slight changes in the light transmitted through the focus screen).

Since the accessory "grid" focus screen completely replaced the existing one, you'll see it all the time when looking through the viewfinder, no matter what exposure mode or automation setting is used.

7D-series, 5D Mark III, 70D and 1DX are all different from 6D. These models have "grid on demand" in the viewfinder, too... It's enabled with a menu setting or custom function, similar to the Live View grid display on your camera. These models use a transmissve LCD focus screen that makes this possible, so there is no need to physically replace the focus screen to display the grid in the viewfinder. But your 6D doesn't have this. You have to replace the focus screen, if you want to see the grid in your viewfinder.  Here is a link to the replacement screen, available on Amazon.com (and many other places).

As to the self-timer, that is usable in many of the camera modes. On most Canon models there are 2-second and 10-second delay self-timers, selectable via the drive speed button on top of the camera. Again, this feature might be disabled in some of the highly automated modes such as SCN or Green Box/A+ (but I don't know for certain, since I never use those modes). But it's certainly available in M, Av, Tv, and P modes.

Being new to your camera, the user manual will be a big help. But it also can be overwhelming and seem confusing, so don't hesitate to ask questions here or on other forums if need be. We all were inexperienced "newbies" at one time or another, though sometimes we might seem to forget. Smiley Wink

Also, there are some excellent guide books available, that expand upon and further explain using the camera. Here's a link to what can be found on Amazon, for example. Any time I get a new camera, I always buy at least one of these guide books to help me get up to speed using the camera quickly. I'm sure many of them are good, but have David Busch's, Charlotte Lowrie's and Michael Guncheon's guides for various Canon models and can recommend those.

If you are new to photography and DSLRs, or even if you have some experience, you also might find a more general guide such as Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" very helpful.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

thanks, i appreciate your comprehensive explanation!  i am definitely a newbie to canon.  have had cameras of various brands and styles but never a canon before.  it is great to have generous folks on the forum, i had the feeling this would be the right place to come to for info and questions.

thanks again, cathy

Announcements