cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an EOS 60D that died with just a blinking battery icon. Shutting off, removing battery, and

javaski
Apprentice

I have an EOS 60d that just shut down and only the battery icon blinks.  I've removed battery, replaced with a charged battery, removed lens and still the same condition.  This originally occurred about 14 months ago and I didn't address

it till now.  Pulled it out of closet to send it to Canon and it worked for 2 days.  Again, this same thing has occurred.  The 

camera body has less than 1000x shutter count.  It will now be sent out.  Note: 14 months ago, this condition was preceded

with some sort of over temp indication.  Anymore input appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Follow this link:

Camera shuts off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ddyourself
Contributor

Just check my thread as well. Same issue. brand new Canon 6D.

amfoto1
Authority

FIrst, you wrote... "Pulled it out of closet"  and "less than 1000x shutter count".

That suggests to me that the camera has been sitting unused a lot. If so, the batteries might just be drained and need a half dozen to a dozen or so charge/drain/recharge cycles before they take a full charge. Initially, even though the charger shows them fully charged, they aren't. The camera is shutting down because there isn't enough power in the battery to keep it operating.  I've had this happen with BP511 batteries, wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens sometimes to LP-E6s too.

So try doing a series of charge/drain cycles with the battery and see if that doesn't solve the proplem, after a half dozen or so such cycles. f the camera continues to do this, try a different battery and a different charger.

If you end up sending it to Canon, be sure to include the battery and charger.

I have no idea what you found in your Internet searches. The only overheating condition I'm aware of is the flash, which can temporarily shut down if it begins to overheat, as a precaution.  

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Note: 14 months ago, this condition was preceded with some sort of over temp indication."

This can happen if you shoot a lot of video. It is not a fault. It is a safety feature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jonisvoice
Apprentice

My 60d shuts down in 4 seconds and won't go back on. This happens in video mode. It can not possibly get "too hot" in 4 seconds. I sent it in to have it repaired and it cost me $250. I did one video shot ok. Then my next shoot started to shut down at 5 mins, then 2, then 4 seconds. I let it sit for a month then tried to make a video for a webinar and could not get past 4 seconds. Took it back to the camera store yesterday to see if going back to factory settings would reset. . . tried new card, new battery still 4 second shut off. It is now going back to the factory. This time it cost me a valuable video shoot. It can't be overheating at 4 seconds.  Please, does anyone have a thought or solution to this problem? I can't afford another $250 repair bill that does not fix the problem. Is this a "bug" in the 60d?

Did you get a report on the findings or what needed to be performed the last time it was repaired?

You are correct in that a camera that has sat unused for an extended period should not overheat in a few seconds (but it might be hasty to assume that the camera shuts off in 4 seconds specifically because of "heat" vs. any number of other reasons that might cause a similar result.)  Certainly there are lots of 60D bodies out there that don't have this problem.  I have a good friend who uses a 60D and primarily uses it to shoot video -- no problems.

The 60D isn't known for any issues either.  Back when it was the "new" mid-range camera, it quickly established quite a reputation as being highly desirable for video because it was the first DSLR on the market with the articulated  LCD screen that videographers love (now you can find that screen on lots of camera bodies.)  There are a lot of people using this body for video.

Are you running any alternate firmware?   (e.g. do you run Magic Lantern firmware, by chance?)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Interestingly. . .The camera came back to me with no explination. I had the camera shop call the repair people to get me more information and a week later the salesman left me a message that (they said) it was do to my using a USB cable. This made no sense to me because I always use a memory card... I NEVER hooked a USB to my camera. Left a message to that effect, got busy and  let it slide.  . . until this problem (ERROR) came back again and cost me a Big Time video shoot. I originally bought it for video auditions and head shots in my voice studio because it was recomended by an instructor at San Diego State University where I was getting a Digital Media Certification. I've had it 2 years and not used it much until now with everthing going video on line! That's my story. . . .HELP!

jonisvoice,

Was the camera previously repaired by the Canon Factory Service Center or did someone else do the repairs?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Mike!

I live in San Deigo and I took it to Georges Camera @ 3837 30th street San Diego 92104. They sent it out to be repaired @ $250. When I got it back, it didn't say what was repaired. The person at Georges, Ryan, (at my request) called me to say it was a USB cord?????? I never used a USB so I just put the camera away till I had to do a headshot and another Video. That one went fine, but the next one started to go bad right away and just shut off, as I previously explained.

I brought it back to Georges and the gentelman who helped me tried everything to re-adujst it and finally gave up and took it in,  to send back. I, at that time purchased a 70D as I love the Canon and that would give me 2 camera's when the 60D came back. (Hopefully repaired.)

To answer your question, I don't know where it went as it was not on warrenty and I trusted Georges to do the right thing! I won't know what was wrong until I get the 60D back in 3 weeks.

Announcements