cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 5ds which focuses fine in viewfinder but images are really soft when viewed?

Stephen1966
Apprentice

My 5ds appears to focus fine in viewfinder but when viewed or uploaded they are very soft. However when I reset the camera this appears to have rectified this very worrying.

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My first thought is user error. Can you give a little more info?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Stephen1966
Apprentice

To be honest I am unsure if I have changed some setting on the camera so I am working through each setting trying to eliminate this, other than that it just randomly stops recording the sharp images I was seeing in the viewfinder on the card. I tried changing lens it was the same on all my lenses canon 50mm 1.4, vaunted 100mm 2.8, canon 24-105mm f4 and a sigma 70-200 2.8. This has me flummoxed . As a long time canon user if is shaking my confidence in the brand, luckily I have noticed and have been able to change bodies and haven't lost any important images I.e. Someone's wedding.

regards Stephen

This may or may not be part of the issue but a 5Ds is very dependent on the lenses used.  Most DSLRs are improved by the lenses used.   The 5Ds owing to its extreme resolution is extremely sensitive to the lenses used.  To get the full advantage of the IQ it is capable of the best of the best in lenses need to be used.  You need to select lenses carefully.  And of course this also means expensive. Goes hand in hand, doesn't it?

I really don't know what your issue is and nobody here will know either.  We would need more info and/or samples to analyze.

I think your next step is to call Canon Support.  If you don't get a responsive agent hang up and call back.  They have some really helpful and knowledgeable people.  They also have a few duds.  Canon's support is truly outstanding for the most part.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lens filters could be an issue, too.

Do you know how to examine a picture so that you can see the camera's focus point?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Stephen1966 wrote:

To be honest I am unsure if I have changed some setting on the camera so I am working through each setting trying to eliminate this, other than that it just randomly stops recording the sharp images I was seeing in the viewfinder on the card. I tried changing lens it was the same on all my lenses canon 50mm 1.4, vaunted 100mm 2.8, canon 24-105mm f4 and a sigma 70-200 2.8. This has me flummoxed . As a long time canon user if is shaking my confidence in the brand, luckily I have noticed and have been able to change bodies and haven't lost any important images I.e. Someone's wedding.

regards Stephen

I suppose this is pretty far off-topic, but what is it about the 5Ds that makes it a good choice for event photography? I don't think it would occur to me to photograph a wedding with a 5Ds unless the bride planned to post the pictures on a billboard. I'd think that the low-light performance of the 5D Mark III would be a lot more useful than the high-res capability of the 5Ds. What am I missing?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Go to your owner's manual and follow the steps to reset all camera settings and clear all custom functions. That will eliminate anything you might have inadvertently set and will restore camera to out of the box. Then see if you are still having problems. If so give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements