cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not open my RAW pictures in DPP and then convert them into JPEG.

Maty_K123
Apprentice

I accidentally took my pictures in RAW and now I need them in JPEG.When I try to convert them in DPP it just says ERROR.

There are big Xs in picture places.What do I do?Thanks in advance.:)

13 REPLIES 13

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"... all he needs is an upgrade."

Less upgrading is necessary with DNG Converter. No matter what camera. No matter what brand.  But if you love to upgrade, by all means get DPP.

"...  one of the significant advantages of DPP is that it retains all changes to the image in the image file itself ..."

One may see this as an advantage or not. That is up to the user.  But IMHO, there are no advantages to DPP at all.  There are abilities but advantages...............?

"The programmers who wrote DPP may not have been the brightest stars in the sky, ..."

Yeah about a magnitude -5 !

But there is room for agreement in the stable. I guess.

I need to get busy and shoe my other horse. It is even taller than the last one was!

I wasn't so much lobbying for DPP as trying to help solve the OP's problem. You'll note that he's already a DPP user and may not want to have to switch.

BTW, you may want to examine your perception of how star magnitudes are numbered. Perhaps you didn't exactly make the point you were aiming for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston

"Perhaps you didn't exactly make the point you were aiming for."

Me,

"Yeah about a magnitude -5  5 !  Whoops. Ignor the minus sign.

Ay any rate, Adobe DNG Converter is a better solution than DPP.   Even though the OP may already have DPP.  Both are free but Adobe DNG Converter has one advantage, it works!  Smiley Happy

I am on my highest horse and riding off into the sunset with John Wayne.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Maty_K123 wrote:

Yes I downloaded pictures from my camera to my PC.I am using DPP 3.11.10.0, Canon Eos 1200D and Windows 7.

I still suspect those big X's that you are seeing, are an indication that DPP cannot access the files....at their present location.  You may have to simply move them.  Beginning with Windows Vista, Windows became picky about what application it would allow to access which folder.  The OS is most especially protective of your root folder on your C: drive.

DPP should not have any problems accessing files stored in your  "Pictures" folder.  If you created a custom folder at another location, then you need to add that location as a "Library" so that applications may access it.  Also, DPP may have to be configured to "Run As Administrator" to access certain folders, which are normally inaccessible to installed applications.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Maty_K123 wrote:

Yes I downloaded pictures from my camera to my PC.I am using DPP 3.11.10.0, Canon Eos 1200D and Windows 7.

I still suspect those big X's that you are seeing, are an indication that DPP cannot access the files....at their present location.  You may have to simply move them.  Beginning with Windows Vista, Windows became picky about what application it would allow to access which folder.  The OS is most especially protective of your root folder on your C: drive.

DPP should not have any problems accessing files stored in your  "Pictures" folder.  If you created a custom folder at another location, then you need to add that location as a "Library" so that applications may access it.  Also, DPP may have to be configured to "Run As Administrator" to access certain folders, which are normally inaccessible to installed applications.

Hope this helps.

The Big X's mean that DPP can't grok the format, not that it doesn't like where the files are stored. (I've seen the same thing while trying to read old, possibly non-standard, JPEGs.) The files can be anywhere. IIRC, very early versions of DPP did sometimes have trouble accessing files on network drives, but that hasn't been the case for a long time.

The OP's version of DPP almost certainly predates his camera. It's possible (maybe even likely) that something about the camera's RAW format is not being recognized. That's why I say that the first order of business should be to bring DPP up to its latest Rev level. Then if he still has problems, more aggressive measures can be considered.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements