cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to download my picture from my camera canon eos 70d to my computer.

Paddy7466
Contributor

I AM UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD MY PICTURE FROM CAMERA CANON EOS 70D TO MY COMPUTER. I HAVE INSTALL THE SOFTWARE FROM CANON EOS SOLUTION DISK 28.2.

14 REPLIES 14

ScottyP
Authority

Do you have an SD Card reader on your computer, or one you can plug into it?  You can just stick the camera's SD memory card into the little reader, and then you can just manually drag and drop the files from the card into a file on your computer or on a portable hard drive.  It is much faster and easier and it does not use the camera's battery up.  You don't need any kind of software to do it.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I have the 70D to and when it comes to WIFI set ups I am an idiot.  However, I was able to set up the camera with my Iphone and can download my pictures to my Iphone anywhere with out need for LTE or WIFI service.  Once on my Iphone I can then upload to social media sites once I am in LTE or wifi range.  I also use the Iphone for remote shutter release.  

I agree with Scotty much simpler to just stick your SD card.  However, I know that you can download directly to a PC from the camera.  Again, I amm the idiot in that department.  

Also my Iphone will automatically send the pictires to my other IOS devices (apple) if I turn that feature on.  

John

fedup
Apprentice

only offers of workarounds...no solution...I say take it back..

Fedup just to let you know we (contributors) are not Canon employees just Canon enthusiasts.  I know the 70D does what it is advertised to do.   I suggest you contact Canon directly for help with your wifi issues.  The 70D is only part of the wifi network, your wifi system you are connecting to must also be set up properly for everything to work well.  I wish you well in getting your 70D up and working the way you want it to work.  For me I want it to work through my Iphone and it does that astoundingly well.  

Thanks, it is not a wifi issue. as i am not trying to connect via wifi but usb. The frustrating thing is that this problem has been reported since 2008. I guess some are luckier than me that it works for them...i was really looking forward to using this camera but I don't have the time to make it work, if it ever will...

" this problem has been reported since 2008"

Hmm, considering that the 70D has only been on the market for around 6 months.... not sure what was being reported in 2008. 

And I've been using various Canon DSLR models since 2004 (and film cameras for some years prior to that), have never had any problem downloading images from any of them, nor heard of any on-going issues being reported.  

What computer operating system are you using? Since the 70D is so new, your computer's OS might need updating with new drivers before the computer will recognize the camera.

I use a card reader to download my images from memory cards. It's much faster than connecitng the camera via a USB cable.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"I use a card reader to download my images from memory cards. It's much faster than connecitng the camera via a USB cable."

All this discussion brings up an interesting thought I just had with a work colleague. I told him I always backup my latest pictures on a external HD by taking the card out of the camera and transfering using the card reader on my PC. The question then came up whether repeated removal/insertion of the card (in the computer and camera) might eventually wear out the contacts on the card, or worse the camera. Is this an issue?

I personally prefer to read the card directly in the PC rather than using a USB to connect to the camera. When you think of it the same issue could happen with USB cable connections.

"...The question then came up whether repeated removal/insertion of the card (in the computer and camera) might eventually wear out the contacts on the card, or worse the camera..."

Yes, there will be wear and tear over time. It also is possible to force a card into the slot crooked and damage the socket.

Are these much of an issue?

In my opinion, no. I change memory cards fairly frequently (mostly Compact Flash, which are probably the most easily damaged), sometimes use 12 or 15 memory cards in a day's shoot and have been doing that shooting digitally for ten years... And have never had even one card wear out or managed to damage a card or socket myself.

Note: I have pulled a card out too quickly, while it was still writing, and lost about 1/3 of the images on the card... Once! I also have had one "bad card" right from new, from a major manufacturer. Three other identical cards are working fine.

I do have one older DSLR with a "bent pin" in the Compact Flash socket.... But I bought it that way for $15 in hopes of fixing it. Unfortunately I think the particular pin that got bent managed to short out some of the other electronics in the camera, so it's probably not practical to fix (makes a nice paperweight). I've seen other cameras, particularly those using Compact Flash memory, with bent pins. Some were pretty easily fixed. Others needed a new socket or more.

Just looking at the posts on various discussion forums, I suspect it's a much more frequent issue for the USB cable or the USB socket in the camera to wear or get damaged. Plus camera batteries are only good for a certain number of charge/discharge cycles (I've heard 400X is typical, but don't really know).

So personally I'd be more concerned about directly linking the camera with the USB cable and leaving the camera powered on while downloading.... Feel better just pulling the memory card and using a card reader.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks Alan. The 70D takes SD cards and I feel they are hardier than CF. I would expect less of a problem since there are no pins involved. I will keep going on removing the card to transfer photos to the computer.

BTW - I always make sure the camera is off when inserting/removing a card. That sounds like risky business doing it while the electronics of the camera are on.

Announcements