cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to take video with my Canon EOS 60D

lbilsbury
Apprentice

I am trying to take video with my camera.  It records for about 3 secs and then stops.  the error message is "movie recording has been stopped automatically."  I must be doing something wrong.  Can someone help me out?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jfo
Rising Star

What brand and "class" SD memory card are you using?  Likely the memory card isn't fast enough to keep up with the HD video.   "Class 6" or above is recommended.

More extensive explanation here:
http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/3317-how-to-buy-the-right-memory-card-for-your-camera-sd-card...

View solution in original post

If your camera is not blinking a red non-circular icon, then it's probably the camera overheating, however it shouldn't be happening on a EOS 60D, so I believe it is a SD Card issue.

if your SD Card is Class 4 and below, DO NOT use it to take video, it's not possible. Get a SD Card as said above with Class 6 or above, [It is commonly symboled with a C wrapped around the #6 or #10], I recommend Class 10. 

The Class represents write speed, so the higher the write speed, the better performing the SD Card is during a video or photo shoot. 

As a reference, the symbol is like the ones in the green circle, make sure it is #6 or #10 in the C: 

Reference Image.

*These SD Cards in the image is outdated so don't buy one of these, buy the ones on store shelves.

As a personal recommendation:

I highly recommend a Sandisk Extreme (Class 10) SD Card with at least 30mb/s write speed (Cost for 16 GB or less is below $28, black friday deals could push a 16GB into the teens so look out for deals). I had bad experiences on Transcend and PNY Class 10 Cards (the Transcend was a waste due to it being all dead and lost a week worth of shooting; the PNY decided to not work with video for about a month).   

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

How likely is it overheating?  I called a couple of experts that shoot with Canon DSLRs and were doubtful that shooting two 12 minute clips in comfortable temperatures should cause this behavior.  Any thing else that I should check?  Any resources that might help me to use my DSLR for video - run and gun style?

segalmedia,

If the camera is overheating, you will probably see one or both of these icons appear in the LCD when the camera starts to get too warm (see attachment).  I also included another attachment of another icon you might be seeing on the LCD.  This is the buffer warning.  If this bar fills up, the buffer is full and the camera will stop recording to finish writing that data to the memory card.

Do you see either of these?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, I will try to recreate the issue.  I now have a 5d to act as my primary so the issue is less time sensitive, but still important.

Hi Mykolas!

Could you please explain the following:

If so as you described and this issue is related to overheating of the camera, why other DSLR cameras like 70D or 600D that have the similar proccessors DIGIC4 do not suffer from such bug as unexpected video buffering? There are many friends of mine use these cameras with no any shadow of this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

D.

@Dima wrote:

Hi Mykolas!

Could you please explain the following:

If so as you described and this issue is related to overheating of the camera, why other DSLR cameras like 70D or 600D that have the similar proccessors DIGIC4 do not suffer from such bug as unexpected video buffering? There are many friends of mine use these cameras with no any shadow of this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

D.

Do you see either of the buffer or temperature warnings on your LCD?  Try creating and recording in a new folder.

BTW, the overheating component would be the image sensor, not the processor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes I do.

I see everytime before the video recording is stopped on LCD this buffering icon in progress as mentioned in previos post.

@Dima wrote:

Yes I do.

I see everytime before the video recording is stopped on LCD this buffering icon in progress as mentioned in previos post.

As described above, the buffer warning means that the write buffer is not keeping up, and is about to overflow.  To avoid overflow, the camera stops writing new data to the buffer, which means it stops recording video.

This strongly suggests that your memory card isn't fast enough.  Using a faster card, or a lower resolution video mode, may help.  I would first test a lower resolution video mode.  It's cheap, and doesn't cost anything, except for some time well spent.

Hi!

The main question that still turns me is why the buffer is aiming to overflow considering I use this card as shown below.

Do you think it is not enough for camera 60D? Low resolution is a good Idea I think but why other cameras don't require this and record video as announced by CANON - HDQ.

фото: карта памяти SDXC 64ГБ Class 10 UHS-I 48MB/s SanDisk Ultra

@Dima wrote:

Hi!

The main question that still turns me is why the buffer is aiming to overflow considering I use this card as shown below.

Do you think it is not enough for camera 60D? Low resolution is a good Idea I think but why other cameras don't require this and record video as announced by CANON - HDQ.

фото: карта памяти SDXC 64ГБ Class 10 UHS-I 48MB/s SanDisk Ultra

Record in low resolution as a test to see if the camera is overheating.

That card should work just fine, AFAIK.  However, the insruction manual does say to  "use an SD Speed Class 6, or faster" on page 287.  It says to use an "SD" card, not "SDHC" or "SDXC". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

In other words, your card may have too much storage space.  Did you perform a low level format of the card in the camera?  Canon DSLRs use Microsoft's exFAT file system to store data in SD cards.

Excuse me but I've never seen pure SD cards in retail. SD is a general meaning and SDHC/SDXC are particular cases.

Besides I spoke to Canon guys and they confirm the type of the usung card is ok.

I perform a low level format on the camera everytime when I tranfer my video/photo to the PC.

Announcements