cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a new 5D mark iii owner with the basic L lens that came with it. What basic lenses do I need?

singerteacher
Apprentice

I want to travel and do video plus photography. With a limited budget, where should I start collecting lenses?

7 REPLIES 7

7D5D
Rising Star

"Basic L Lens"...I'm assuming you got the 24-105 f/4 which is an excellent all purpose lens.   This lens should cover most of your needs.

You really need to determine what your needs and budget are.  Spend some time with your current setup first and you will know better as become more experienced.  Do not buy too much gear too soon.

Lens

-  For ultra wide such as landscapes I would look into the 17-40 f/4L

-  For telephoto zoom I'd look at the 70-200 f/4L IS (extremely sharp lens!).  If you need more reach the 70-300L

-  For a low light light/indoor lens, one of the 50s, 50 f/1.4 or even the 85 f/1.8.  Both of these will be good for portraits .

I do not have experience with 3rd party lens.  Some seem to be very good while others are not.  Get advice before you purchase.

Flash

You might benefit from getting a flash first.  I have 600EX-RTs but I can't necessary recommend that without knowing your needs, budget, and future intentions.  Is photography going to become a serious hobby for you?  The 430EX II is less expensive and an outstanding flash.

Mykolas
Authority

Singerteacher,

Since the lens you have covers a broad range from 24-105mm, I recommend that you look into a lens that covers more of the telephoto end.  Here are some models you may consider:

1. EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
  2. EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
  3. EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I may be outnumbered on my first suggestion but to me the 17-40 isn't that much more useful than the 24-105 so I'll suggest thinking about the Sigma 12-24 (newest version). I have both the older 12-24 & the 17-40 and although you get some distortion at the extremely wide end it isn't fish eye like. For the longer side the 70-300L is a very good choice unless you think you'll also be thinking about wildlife / air shows / motorsports. For those the 100-400 L is a better choice, but it's slightly larger & heavier. Be aware however that for great results with the longer focal lengths you either need a tripod, monopod or good technique which unfortunately isn't included in the box. IS will help, but time, practice & higher shutter speeds are needed when shooting long lenses.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

xhack
Apprentice
I'd suggest using and familiarising yourself with the 24-105 - it is a very versatile lens. After, say, three months, you might want to use Lightroom or a similar app to sort and analyse the focal lengths most used within your zoom range. That'll give you a steer on what focal length or range you instinctively go for. Most at 105? Think a telephoto prime or zoom. Most at 24 or 28? Go wide angle.
Me? I'd get a flash before another lens in the first instance - it will give you so much more more flexibility, outdoors as well as indoors.

My previous "light"  travel kit  was a body, Tokina 11-16, Canon 24-105,  70-200 F4 IS +1.4 extender.  FYI.  My 24-105 was attached to the body 90% of the time if that helps. 

I owned the 24-105 for over 5 years and it seen the East and West coasts of Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, England, Portugal and the USA several times.          

24mm is pretty wide on a FF. Nice to be wider but you can cover a lot at 24.   

I sold the 24-105 and Tokina 11-16 to fund the new 24-70II.  I had been looking for a landscape lens for my FF bodies (old and current) and rented the Canon 24 TSE II and Zeiss 21mm. Both superb lenses but I'm glad I held out for the 24-70.    

Next  "light" trip will be 7D, 5D3, 24-70, 70-200 + 1.4 extender.    

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I think the ideal situation would be the 24-70mm f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8. These two are all you really need. But if you got the 24-105mm with the body the 70-200 it isn't such a good combo. Still good but..............

If indeed you have the 24-105mm, I would get the 100-400mm. Either of these would be killer outfits.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements