cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I accidentally shot s3 files on the 70D. How can I print?

jsiegelman1
Apprentice

New 70D user. Loved touch screen until this happened. I think I know the answer but I am asking anyhow.

2 REPLIES 2

amfoto1
Authority

Unfortunately, there is no getting back data that was never captured in the first place.

Best you can do with that small a file (720x480, if memory serves) is make a small print. Ideal is 240 or more pixels per inch, but some printers manage pretty well with as little as 170 or 140. So a 3.5x5 inch print is marginally "doable" with the image file as it is now, so long as you do no cropping.

You may be able to up-rez the file to a larger size with some success, to make a larger print. There are various softwares made specifically for this purpose, but some of the general purpose image editing and optimization s'wares might be able to do it reasonably well. Try making several small (10%) increases to achieve a larger size, rather than one bit increase in resolution.

You also might find images from the file look better on glossy or semi-gloss paper. Smooth matte paper is the most unforgiving.

Metallic prints also sometimes look good  when the image is very hight contrast and have doesn't have a lot of fine detail.

Converting to black and white might make for a more usable print, too. We're rather accustomed to seeing some grain in B&W prints, from the days of film. So it might be worth a try.

Experiment on copies of the file, not on the original. Such a small file won't tolerate much opening, changing, saving and reopening.  

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The fact you shot S3 doesn't alter the printing process.  It should print exactly the same as anything.  The quality will be efffected but not how.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements