cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a fixed number of shots in burt mode

mistersun
Apprentice

Hello,

I want to use the burst mode with a 5D Mark II, III or a 1D-X but right now, if I want to limit the number of shot taken in burst (continuous) mode, lets say, I want only 2 shots in a row, I have to push the shutter button and release it almost right away but I can never be sure of exactly how many shots will be taken.

With a 5D Mark II it's quite easy to take only two shots in a row because the burst speed is less than 4 frames/sec so I can be fast enough to release shutter on time but with a Mark III it's less easy, and with a 1D-X it's quite impossible with a burst speed > 10frames/sec

Does anyone know a way to set a fixed number of shots or to set a fixed time for the shutter button, lets imagine, since I know that it will take 2/10 of a second to shoot 2 frames at a burst speed of 10 frames/sec, to program the shutter button to release after 0.2 sec. Does an intervalometer could handle this ? is there a way for the Canon OS to handle it internaly

Thanks, for those who would have a clue, that would greatly help me

4 REPLIES 4

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

I have extensive experience with the 5D Mk. III, and there is no way to set a specific number of frames shot in continuous shooting mode.  You have two choices with the Mk. III, either high-speed continuous at 6 frames per second, or low-speed continuous at 3 frames per second.  I've checked the manual and verified this.  I don't know about the other two cameras, but at least with the Mk. III you're S.O.L.

Thanks for your answer. I also have many Canon user manual and I know there is no "already made" solutions. Was just wondering if someone had an idea of how to do it.

But investigating, I think I found  a solution with special intervalometers where shutter release time can be set and then pilot any cameras, including canon

Interesting idea.  I've never seen someone use an intervalometer on a camera, but a DIY kind of posting about using one would have me grabbing the popcorn and reading about it.

Whiteflyer
Contributor
On the 1D mkIV it's custom function C.Fn III 18
Continuous Shooting Speed, and can be registered at any number per second between 1 and 10, I would think there is the same custom function on the 1D X at least.

EF 24-70 f/2.8 L, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF 1.4 II Extender

580EX MKII, 430EX MKII

Announcements