cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a folder on CF card in R5

Steve531
Contributor

I want to delete a test folder that I set up on the CF card in my R5.  I tried formating the card.  I removed all photos and tried formatting the card.  It just won't seem to go away.  I cannot find any instructions on how to do so.  Suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't see how it could survive a format - especially a low level format.

Put it in a card reader and nuke it from orbit. (Use the computer to delete it).

Are you sure you are not looking at the wrong card?

Yes, it did survive the low level format and I'm looking at the correct card.  I don't have a card reader for the CF card.  I'll have to pick one up and give that a try.  Thanks for your reply.

When the camera is connected to the computer can you try and delete it there?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

When I connect the R5 to my computer the EOS Utility 3 reads the card and lets me download the photos.  However, my OS (Mac Big Sur 11.2.3) does not detect the camera/card and is not available for me to directly delete the folder.  I think I'll call apple and see what I can do so to detect the camera.  Thanks.

@Steve531 wrote:

When I connect the R5 to my computer the EOS Utility 3 reads the card and lets me download the photos.  However, my OS (Mac Big Sur 11.2.3) does not detect the camera/card and is not available for me to directly delete the folder.  I think I'll call apple and see what I can do so to detect the camera.  Thanks.

First and foremost, the R5 is a camera, not flash drive or memory stick.  You cannot write to th memory card in the camera, which means you cannot format it.  Also, if the camera is accessing the card, then a computer cannot access it.  This is what the EOS Utility is used for, to transfer files from the camera to a computer.  This is not inconvenient. It's the law.  This is how computer stuff works.

When you say in your initial post that you formatted the CF card, and it seemed to have no effect....are you certain that you formatted the correct memory card?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Steve531 wrote:

First and foremost, the R5 is a camera, not flash drive or memory stick.  You cannot write to th memory card in the camera, which means you cannot format it.  Also, if the camera is accessing the card, then a computer cannot access it.  This is what the EOS Utility is used for, to transfer files from the camera to a computer.  This is not inconvenient. It's the law.  This is how computer stuff works.

When you say in your initial post that you formatted the CF card, and it seemed to have no effect....are you certain that you formatted the correct memory card?

I beg to differ, at least with respect to a PC:

Screenshot 2021-04-30 201015.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-30 201057.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-30 201500.jpg

In the past I have uploaded a file to the 100EOS1D folder with a modified file name to get the image number same as my shutter count when I messed up and reset my file numbering.

I have not tried to format in camera with PC.

I also can't speak to whether macOS can do this.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Steve531 wrote:

I beg to differ, at least with respect to a PC:

Screenshot 2021-04-30 201015.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-30 201057.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-30 201500.jpg

In the past I have uploaded a file to the 100EOS1D folder with a modified file name to get the image number same as my shutter count when I messed up and reset my file numbering.

I have not tried to format in camera with PC.

I also can't speak to whether macOS can do this.

The 1D Series might be a special case.  The camera is neither memory stick nor flash drive.  You cannot write to it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Apple was not able to to help finder detect the card. I brought up windows 10 with bootcamp. It recognized the card. Under the DCIM folder it showed the Folder I want to delete. However, when I tried to delete it I was told it was a read only folder and could not be deleted or that it had stopped responding or disconnected. At least Windows detected it! I originally formatted the card in camera. Not sure of next step. Maybe Canon will respond to my email. Thank Y'all for your suggestions.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Is the card's lock set? i.e. changes cannot be applied.

What was used to create said folder (i.e. the camera or your computer?)  What OS are you using on your computer?  Perhaps the folder has some permissions set on it preventing deletion?

Can you mount the SD card directly to your computer?  In macOS Finder, or Windows Explorer, what is shown as to the contents of that card?   When looking at properties of that folder, what are its permissions (i.e. what users have access to write capability?).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements