Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clean terminals between lens and body

MANKAN928
Contributor
7D
17 REPLIES 17

I saw condensation on the surface of the rear element. I then returned to the hotel room with a/c turned to maximum. The lens rear element dried up in a short while. No more error. But bear in mind, if you go from a cold area to a warm area or vice versa, condensation will reappear.

That may be a rare case but in some places. Humidity will kill your camera gears. Google condensation causing damage to camera - even the expensive 5D3.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16121.15

I wouldn't use a hairdryer. you will risk blowing something into the sensor. overheating may cause damage to the electronics.

Thank you, ezpop. Your help is much appreciated.

Yes, by all means, clean bot the lens and the camera.  And do use denatured alcohol not regular off the shelf rubbing alcohol.  It is not the same thing.

A word of caution, if you are in a risky situation, like high humidity or dusty, dirty, cold or hot, don't change your lens!  At the very least be careful and mindful of your surroundings.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Very intersting and useful info from ebiggs 1. I am learning everyday.

Could n't distinguish the differece between "denatured alcohol"and the 99% Isopropyl. Do we have a chemist here ?

capture-20150123-114400.png

@ezpop wrote:

Very intersting and useful info from ebiggs 1. I am learning everyday.

Could n't distinguish the differece between "denatured alcohol"and the 99% Isopropyl. Do we have a chemist here ?

capture-20150123-114400.png

Denatured alcohol is ethanol to which a poisonous adultrant (isopropanol, in the example cited here) is added to make it undrinkable. The purpose is to keep it from being taxed as liquor or (in puritannical countries like the U.S.) subjected to sales restrictions.

Further clarification: Propanol is propane in which one of the hydrogen atoms in the molecule has been replaced by an OH radical. (The OH radical makes it an alcohol.) Isopropanol is the isomer of propanol in which the OH radical is attached to the middle carbon atom rather than to the one at either end.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Lordy, Lordy!  I cleaned the terminals as suggested. Everything worked well for about a dozen exposures, then it reverted to the "clean terminals" message again. I did reclean them once more and it worked for five exposures then the message returned. It is very frustrating. I have an old 40D and can use that body and don't get the same error message so it seems it must be in the body rather than the lens. Any other ideas?

Like I mentioned, this usually doesn't work or help.  I suppose there are times especially when somebody doesn't change lenses very often or at all.  But the mere act of removing rubs the contacts enough to "clean" them.

Time to send this body in.  What body is it anyway?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's a 7D. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements