Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

How to autofocus on the 5D Mark IV?

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and new to canon equipment in general. I just recently got a 5D Mark IV for video purposes. I'm still learning all the functions and buttons on the camera. However one thing I can't figure out is autofocus. I see the button AF-On and when I push it nothing happens. I assumed thats the autofocus button. I read that there is a dual pixel auto focus feature, but have been unable to turn it on. I have to manually focus everything and nothing ever auto focuses. I'm using a 35mm Rokinon T1.5 cine lens. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am brand new to DSLRs, and have only ever used camcorders before.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to autofocus on the 5D Mark IV?

@bcrete wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and new to canon equipment in general. I just recently got a 5D Mark IV for video purposes. I'm still learning all the functions and buttons on the camera. However one thing I can't figure out is autofocus. I see the button AF-On and when I push it nothing happens. I assumed thats the autofocus button. I read that there is a dual pixel auto focus feature, but have been unable to turn it on. I have to manually focus everything and nothing ever auto focuses. I'm using a 35mm Rokinon T1.5 cine lens. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am brand new to DSLRs, and have only ever used camcorders before.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

It's not a dumb question, but it's apparently covered in Chapter 9 of the 5D Mark IV Instruction Manual. If you've read that chapter, what is it that's still not clear?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Respected Contributor

Re: How to autofocus on the 5D Mark IV?

The reason it doesn't auto-focus is because the Rokinon T1.5 is strictly a manual focus lens...you will have to manually focus it.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr