cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How set the AEB range on the R5

Bazsl
Rising Star

On my 5D Mark IV I can set the exposure compensation with the back dial and the AEB range with the top dial. On my R5 the only way I have found to set the AEB range is via the menu. That is really slow and annoying. Is there another way to set the AEB range? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

Looking through the manual I couldn't find anything relating to a quick access dial control of the AEB range like in the EOS 5D Mark IV, so unfortunately it looks like that feature is not in the camera for now. It would be great if the camera could be updated to do this, but I don't see anything realting to it for now.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bazsl wrote:

On my 5D Mark IV I can set the exposure compensation with the back dial and the AEB range with the top dial. On my R5 the only way I have found to set the AEB range is via the menu. That is really slow and annoying. Is there another way to set the AEB range? Thanks.

I am not able to set AEB on any of my Canon bodies without. having to go into the menu systems.  It is possible to set EC in certain camera modes, but not AEB.  It seems a bit too complex to able to set with the turn of a single dial.

If you do not mind, could you please explain who it is possible to set the AEB range with the top dial on the 5D Mark IV without having to go into the menu system?  Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Some models have an AEB button capability.  For the 1D series you would press the Mode and Drive-AF buttons simultaneosly and then use the Main Dial to adjust the bracketing amount.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Some models have an AEB button capability.  For the 1D series you would press the Mode and Drive-AF buttons simultaneosly and then use the Main Dial to adjust the bracketing amount.

Yes, I am aware of that feature on 1D Series of bodies, which have a slightly different set of camera buttons on the top of the camera compared to the rest of the Canon DSLR lineup, where most cameras would have a Mode Dial.

The Canon 5D Series of bodies uses a mode dial, so that shortcut is not available.  It is not available on a 7D2, either.  The best answer is that you would use the Quick Menu screen to set AEB, instead of diving into the full menu ssystem.

Using the Quick Setup screen is what I was referring to on my 5D Mark IV. Unfortunately, when you use the the Quick Setup screen on the R5 both the top and back dials change the exposure compensation while on the 5D Mark IV the top dial changes the AEB range and the back dial changes exposure compensation. This seems like a bug to me since I cannot think of a reason for both dials to change the same setting by design.

@Bazsl wrote:

Using the Quick Setup screen is what I was referring to on my 5D Mark IV. Unfortunately, when you use the the Quick Setup screen on the R5 both the top and back dials change the exposure compensation while on the 5D Mark IV the top dial changes the AEB range and the back dial changes exposure compensation. This seems like a bug to me since I cannot think of a reason for both dials to change the same setting by design.

To set AEB in the R5, you would do it the same way as you would in a 5D Mark IV.  Press the [Q] button to open the Quick Control Menu, and then use the top and rear dials to adjust AEB.

DECF6796-6148-4E0B-A0E4-39F0E2E6B607.jpeg

Your initial made it sound like you could adjust AEB without entering a menu, but you use the Quick Menu in the 5D4.  Like I said, it works the same way with the R5.  The menu screens almost look identical.  You are not required to use touch control on the R5, if you do not want.

Now I understand the problem. When I press the Q button on the back of my R5 I get a screen that is completely different from the screen in your post. The screen I get shows a U shaped array of icons around the left, bottom and right edges of the screen. How do I display the screen shown in your post? Thanks.

Page 95 of the R5 manual shows two Quick Control screens. The top screen on page 95 is the one I see when I press the Q button. How do I display the bottom screen on page 95 which is the screen shown in your post. Thanks.

Problem solved. I inadvertently turned off the Quick Info screen in screen options and without that enabled I could not get to the corresponding Quick Control screen. Thanks for your help. I would doubt that I would ever have found the solution on my own.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements