cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you focus an EOS 90D?

Pking
Contributor

I realize this is the stupidest post ever. But how do you manually focus an EOS 90D?

I've been shooting in auto focus since I got the camera (about two months ago). I see how to switch it to manual focus. But once I'm there, I don't see how to change the focus. Every time I try to adjust the lens, I'm only zooming in or out.

Note: up until about two months ago, I was shooting everything on a camera that was about 20 years old. So I'm ignorant as could be trying to figure out the EOS 90D.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lens to you have?

For EF and EF-S zoom lenses, there will be two rings on them; one for zoom and one for focus.  For EF or EF-S prime lenses, there will be a single ring for focus.

How close are you to your subject?  All lenses have minimum distance requirements.  So if you're too close, it won't focus.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Some of the EF-S "STM" zoom lenses use "focus by wire" technology.  There is not mechanical connection between the focus ring and the focusing elements within the camera.  It is all electronic.  The only time the focus ring is active is when the metering system is active.

In other words, if the focus ring seems like it is dead, then half press the shutter to wake up the metering system.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ludiclens
Apprentice

On the Canon 90D, there is a small button between the shutter button and top dial. It has a T-shaped icon. Pressing that will allow you to manually select the focus points. Pressing the button multiple times will scroll through the focus mode selection. 

Under Custom function III: You can go to the 3rd page to change Custom Controls. The bottom right Multi-controllers option will allow you to enable Direct AF point selection. This way you do not have to press that small T-icon button next to the shutter before selecting the AF point. 

Announcements