cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you White Balance an EOS 90D?

Pking
Contributor

Hello all. I realize how stupid I sound. But I just purchased my Canon EOS 90D, and if anyone could write the basic instructions on how to white balance it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Note: for the last 20 years I've been shooting with a Canon GL1 MiniDV camera. I felt the time finally came for me to update my camera. So, expect some surprisingly ignorant posts from me in the next few weeks. Thank you, and Happy Holidays! 

16 REPLIES 16

Ray-uk
Whiz

@Pking wrote:

if anyone could write the basic instructions on how to white balance it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I think you will find that Canon have already done that in the user manual.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Canon AWB is very good. Plus, as Ray said, full guidance in the manual.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There are many ways to do white balance depending on your workflow.

I would say that there are two main methods on this board:

Shoot in RAW and fix in post if necessary.

Shoot in JPEG with AWB and don't worry about it unless a specific image has an issue.

Do you have a specific problem, or is this a general question?

I'm talking about shooting video, not film.

Perhaps I should explain: For years, I've been shooting with a 20 year old camera (Canon GL1 MiniDV), and editing on a version of Final Cut Pro which at least 12 years old. I just purchased a more modern camera and computer, and now I have a lot of adjusting to do (a lot to teach myself).

I personally like to shoot everything white balanced,  and then tweak colors in Post... I did find the way to automatically white balance with the EOS 90D, but I can't find a way to do it manually. And that's exactly what I want to learn. 

It looks like Custom White Balance (page 225) also applies to movie shooting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Cinema-EOS-Discussions/White-Balance-on-new-Cinema-EOS-Cameras-C5...

Same for dedicated cinema cameras. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75, I bought this camera on eBay, and the instructions it came with are very short. My instructions do not include 225 pages.

@Pking wrote:

jrhoffman75, I bought this camera on eBay, and the instructions it came with are very short. My instructions do not include 225 pages.

If you go to the Canon website you can download the full manual in pdf format.

@Ray-uk wrote:

@Pking wrote:

If you go to the Canon website you can download the full manual in pdf format.

As well as all the Canon supplied software for the camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements