cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i check shutter count on 5d mk3

bajatony1
Apprentice

How do i check shutter count on 5d mk3. Someone said it was available on the utilities disc, but i can't find it.

Cheers

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sent you a PM.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

112 REPLIES 112

Because buyers want to know... It is a reasonable request on their part. Would you purchase a car without knowing the mileage?

"And does it affect anything at all ?"

Yes, it does.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lly3988
Rising Star
There are buyers who wouldn't care about SC if the camera is maintained properly. I wouldn't buy one with only a few K SC but in very bad shape.

Do people know a digital slr can die anytime from new to over a million SC ? And shutter failure is only one of the many causes of the death of a dslr.

If buyers are worried, ask them to go buy a new one with warranty and also pay several hundred extra for the extended warranty.

And there are buyers who do care. Stating that you wouldn't purchase a camera b/c it had a low sc and in bad shape is valid statement, however; it is not appropriate to this conversation b/c the comment is adding a criteria that is unqualifiable and an attempt to undermine the value of the information that can be used to determine the value of the item, how much is only defined by the other party.

If it were that easy... then this thread would haved ceased to exist years ago.

lly3988
Rising Star
BTW, a car has an odometer to know the mileage. For camera, there are at least 4 to 5 ways to find the SC easily.
Buyers are welcome to bring their laptop to verify SC.

lly3988
Rising Star
A few years back, I discovered a 7D listed for sale locally. I requested a SC report. Yes, I was given one via email.
I printed it out and brought it with me when I met up with the seller. Everything seemed right when I inspected the camera. I was pleased with the cosmetic condition of the camera and everything seemed to work okay.
When I checked the serial number on the SC report, it wasn't identical to the one on the camera. So I back out from the transaction for obvious reasons.
I learned a lesson. The SC report provided by the buyer may not always be relied upon for accurate information.

I understand that things like this can occur. In your situation if it were way off then yes that would be the same decision I would have made. But the crux of the conversation by some here is that the sc is not important or that it is required to ship the camera in. Canon deliberately hides this information. And in my experience in the world it is only for their profit... I do see how some dishonest people could alter this... but if we lived with this mentality then we would be beholden to every company and governmental agency in the world. One reason that the US has prospered is for the sake of independence from such types of suppression. And some may think this is overboard.... but this is how it starts, continue to take one freedom away at a time. We are seeing it in the US as we live right now...

lly3988
Rising Star
It is really that easy.

There are always new comers. There are are always people who never know that there is a need to find the shutter count and suddenly they want to buy or sell a camera. And they see people asking about it so they want to know about it.

There are also people who don't want to pay and get a service for free by just asking here and there.

It is really that easy. Really.

This shouldn't require a service, or paid service whatsoever. I don't want to pay... I paid them $3200 for the camera and another 7K in glass... no, I don't want to give them one more dime. Ever!
Announcements