cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i check shutter count on 5d mk3

bajatony1
Apprentice

How do i check shutter count on 5d mk3. Someone said it was available on the utilities disc, but i can't find it.

Cheers

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sent you a PM.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

112 REPLIES 112

jr - I just bought a used 5D Mklll - I would love to know how to check the shutter count. Thanks,
Tom Leparskas
Canada

Third party software only .  I downloaded one and it worked

Ah, thanks, can you PM me the information?

Tim
Authority

Hello Bajatony1,

The only way to get an accurate shutter count, or actuations- on Canon EOS DSLR bodies is to have the Canon Factory Service Center provide it.  They need to have the camera on hand in order to run the test to get an accurate measurement on your camera's shutter. 

If you would like to send in your camera to have this service performed, please use our web site where you can set up a repair online.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

Hello Bajatony1,

The only way to get an accurate shutter count, or actuations- on Canon EOS DSLR bodies is to have the Canon Factory Service Center provide it.  They need to have the camera on hand in order to run the test to get an accurate measurement on your camera's shutter. 

If you would like to send in your camera to have this service performed, please use our web site where you can set up a repair online.  

That's the answer that Canon always gives, and they've taken a lot of flak for it in this forum and elsewhere. But to be fair, the probable reason for Canon's intransigence is aguably altruistic in its way. If the public were let in on where and how Canon hides the shutter count, dishonest purveyors of used equipment might be able to figure out how to forge the count, rendering it useless.

In the best of all worlds, Canon would stash the count in two places, one accessible in the Exif data and the other not. The accessible count would let users keep track of how heavily their cameras are being used, while only the hidden count, duly certified by a Canon repair center, would be accepted as valid by a buyer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob (aka The Snowman) from Boston,

Some models do keep track of it in the EXIF.  Very simple to access.  I can't remember if the 5D Mk III is one or not as I no longer have mine.  I just checked a 1D Mk II for a friend.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Sent you a Private Message.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi

I've just bought a second hand 5D mark iii and I'd love to know how to check the shutter count to check all is ok.

Many many thanks

Olly

Did you not read this reply from Canon?  Smiley Frustrated

"The only way to get an accurate shutter count, or actuations- on Canon EOS DSLR bodies is to have the Canon Factory Service Center provide it.  They need to have the camera on hand in order to run the test to get an accurate measurement on your camera's shutter. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well."
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements