cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I save an image from Photoshop so I can transfer it back to the 70D?

AlKoch
Contributor

How do I save an image from Photoshop so I can transfer it back to the 70D?

I am trying to use Photoshop to modify a picture I took with the 70D and then transfer that modified picture back to the 70D.  I am using ImageBrowser Ex and the problem is that when I select that modified image and try to Transfer it, ImageBrowser Ex tells me that "A still image that cannot be displayed on the camera has been selected."

I have simplified the problem by just opening the original image file and immediately saving it to a new file without changing anything but even that "unmodified" file fails.  Apparently, Photoshop is changing something when it does the Saves As but I can't see what the problem is.

Note that I have also tried just using Windows to manually copy the Save As file to the memory card but the picture doesn't appear in the "Picture Preview" when I put the card back in the EOS 70D.  This also happens if I copy the original image file to the card.  I suspect the problem is that the EOS 70D has some sort of "file index" that isn't updated with info about these files if they are just manually copied to the card.

Can someone please tell me how to Save As out of Photoshop so I can transfer the new file back to the 70D using ImageBrowser Ex?

Thank you.

23 REPLIES 23

ScottyP
Authority

Why do you want to store processed photos on your camera?  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

I am trying to get an image onto the camera that has "ID" info on it so if the camera is lost there's a chance I can get it back.  So I build a jpg in Photoshop with the contact info and transfer it to the camera.

I know this can be done because i did it a couple of years ago right after I got the 70D but my notes on what I did have been lost and I cannot figure out how I did this the 1st time!  (The contact info has changed so that's why I need to get a new image onto the camera.)  In addition, since ImageBrowser Ex offers to "Transfer to Card" I'm sure this can be done but something is happening in the Save As out of Photoshop.

Can you help me with this problem?

Thank you.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I did not know this was even possible but I admit I have never tried to do it.  I think you are naive to believe a stolen or lost camera would be returned by someone looking at the picture.  But who knows maybe it would?

The camera dose not display the image on the SD card per say.  It makes a thimbnail and I don't know if it will do that if it didn't actually take the picture.

Let me know if you are successful as I will be curious.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

How about printing the picture you want and than take a picture of it with the 70D?

EB

OK I do this all the time for the exact same reason except it's more so someone can return a lost card (or my underwater camera kit) if they are honest enough to do it. I make a text file that I simply copy to my cards, plus I copy a business card (which was created on my computer) to the same folder, & when traveling a photo of the hotel name or key card etc. If you specifically want the ID info as a photo that displays on the rear LCD just print it to a piece of paper or make a 4X6 photo of the info & photograph that as the first photo after each format.

The way I do it requires someone else to use a card reader but if they do they see the regular DCIM folder MISC folder & a CONTACT INFO folder. They also see my Email address because I use that as the volume label for my cards. (it just fits).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@ebiggs1 wrote:

How about printing the picture you want and than take a picture of it with the 70D?

Not even. Just write the contact info on a sheet of paper with a magic marker, photograph it as a JPEG, name it "PLEASE READ ME", and make sure it's on any card you put in the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority

Ah, I see.

it seems to me the most effective method of helping a Good Samaritan do the right thing would be a lot less high tech.  Thread a small luggage tag onto the camera strap.  That way the finder is not expected to find your ID in the camera. They can just glance at the strap, read the tag and call you.  

I know my parents, for one example, though very honest and of the best intentions, would never ever be able to return your camera if they were expected to read it off the memory card due to the fact they couldn't figure that out.

Better to not limit the number of possible good Samaritans to those who can work the camera and who then look through your photos, I'd think.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I know my parents, for one example, though very honest and of the best intentions, would never ever be able to return your camera if they were expected to read it off the memory card due to the fact they couldn't figure that out.

News for you, Scott: Those of us of a certain (advanced) age may not be as clueless as you seem to think. If my 40-something kids said that about us, they'd hear back about it from me. (My wife is more laid back. She'd probably let them get away with it.)  Smiley Frustrated

Seriously, though, looking at the pictures is a traditional way of trying to find the owner of a lost camera. That goes back even to the film days, when the finder had to get the film developed.

Your idea about the luggage tag is obviously a good one, though.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"Those of us of a certain (advanced) age may not be as clueless as you seem to think."

And then there are those of us that fit Scott's description to a tee.  I have been doing this stuff since the 1950's and I still am given cameras, from time to time, by people that mistakenly believe I know how to operate every single model of camera. Some take me quite a while to figure out how to work it.  An "advanced" aged person may never figure it out by themselves if they aren't camera folks..  I still can't believe all the use of different terms to say the same thing on different brands.

I think the luggage tag is the better idea.  If you actually do lose a camera found by an honest person.  Of course if it a thief .......

EB
Announcements